1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB: Intel X25-X

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Oct 2009.

1. John_T

John_T Minimodder

A fair reminder there ano - though as you say, 4GB really does nothing for me! (For a start, I want windows, not a stripped down, bare-basics version of Linux). All the modern net-tops I see now seem to come with an HDD as standard.

perplekks45, I understand that - I was really talking about where SSD's have come in general in the last 6 months or so, as opposed to just this specific drive - I probably should have made that a bit clearer...

2. Dave_M

Dave_M What's a Dremel?

You are out of luck. That system has a fan.

40GB is easily big enough for a modern OS. Windows 7 will fit on a 16GB drive with still bags of room for other apps.

I would take a guess that all these people that are on the fence about SSD (including myself), will be buying a SSD when we get 22nm storage. £1/GB with a 32GB drive is what I'm hoping to get.

3. 00se7en

00se7en Too many computers, too little time

John T - I got myself an Eee Box (the original one) to use as an iTunes server. There's a hard-drive caddy on that system, similar to an old laptop so piece of cake. There is a small fan in the Eee box, but it's near-silent. I dropped a 500Gb 2.5inch hitachi drive and can't hear that either though - depends where it is and how sensitive your hearing is.

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Frustratingly this drive is just $85 in the USA - roughly £55 UK price. If it'd shipped at that price we'd be liking it a whole lot more.

£1/GB is the way magic number - when drives hit that we'll see the market really take off.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

think its a dream in space tbh

£1/gb compared to the £2.50 it currently is

its a big drop thats required to happen

6. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Thanks for the replies there gents - nice one.

Dave, cheers for the fan info, I didn't realise that. You're probably right about the size & I'm just being overly fussy - it's not as if I'm planning to load games on it or use it for mass storage or anything.

00se7en, you've got a similar idea to me - though I really want to use it as a BBC iPlayer server. I pretty much never get to watch live TV any more - I've left my PC on overnight occasionally to grab a programme or two, but it's not exactly quiet or efficient & I reckon this would be the more elegant solution. Thinking about it, 40GB is more than enough for what I need.

BAZ, you're right about the price: £1 per 1GB would see these things fly off the shelf. The old $/£ technology software/hardware exchange rate rip-off really gets my goat! (Our monopolies & mergers commission doesn't see it as detrimental to consumer interest however - bunch of spineless, toothless wasters).

I am pretty sensitive to PC noise & have gone through an array of PSU's, HSF's & case fans in search of peace - the day they make a decently powerful machine totally silent I will positively mime shouting with joy!

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

my antec signiture powering my server in sig is near silent and other than the GPU its pretty powerful

Tags: Add Tags