1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Knight Rider LED array

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MrBurritoMan, 30 Jun 2004.

1. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

Im trying to make the KNight rider LED array like microman made in the articles section and i think i messed up somewhere because it doesn't work. :sigh: it worked on the breadboad but when i soldered the whole thing down to the real deal nothing happened. that can be found here. im not sure if i have damaged anything. i tested the LEDS and they light up when probing them. the resistors are nto fried and the caps are not blown :eyebrow: . anyone know how to test the ICs? i have posted labeled pictures on my website in high res. so if you feel so inclined you can take a look at the madness. :naughty:

Main Board Front
    Main Board Back
    LED Board back
    The Complete Assembly

i think that i might try to make a printed circuit board if i can't figure this out. thanks all! :wallbash:

2. lazer_wolf

lazer_wolf What's a Dremel?

I think that the only major thing that I can suggest is to check for solder tails connecting two traces that aren't suppossed to be.

Another suggestion would be to use sockets for ic's, they are cheap insurance if you can use them.

I don't much know what else to tell you, it looks pretty good to me.

~Lazer

3. MrBurritoMan

i think that i might have found something....

i think that i might have found the part that has blown. i had a spare dual-op amp lying around so i popped that in and LED 1 lit up then about three seconds later it went dark with my power supply clicking in pain. :waah: i checked the dual-op amp with my finger(not a smart idea but i did it anyway) and it was really warm to the touch. hmmmm i think that my circuit is good as a dual-op amp killer and thats about all. :sigh: im going to take this thing to the componants store tomorrow and see if they can spot anything. man there goes another $0.73 chip. DOH! :wallbash: thanks, -Patrick

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Aren't opamps and such electronics? :confused: Moving over...

5. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

From what I can make out, I think you may have connected ground to pin 8 of the op-amp and 12V to pin 4, when it should be the other way round.

6. MrBurritoMan

:duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: WHOLLY CRAP!!!! i feel sooo stupid. after the hours i spent looking at this thing and i didn't find that. man i feel really....not smart. thanks steveyG. im going to the store today and i think that im going to pick me up some op-amps. gaaaaaaaaa stupid stupid stupid :wallbash:

7. MrBurritoMan

man this thing is pimping!! :rock: im going to post some pictures on my website eventually. :D

oh yeah thanks for pointing that out man so stupid...

8. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Sometimes you just need a fresh eye to spot mistakes like that. Glad it works :thumb: