1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knives

Discussion in 'General' started by Ubermich, 4 Jun 2004.

1. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

Just bought a pair of lovely knives at the shop.
    http://www.dubosedistributors.com/MasterKnives.php?page=60# the top right, YD-35LG (though my handle is black with the white circles, blade is still stainless steel)
    http://www.dubosedistributors.com/MasterKnives.php?page=77# first row, 5th one down, CH-390S

The first one is (as stated) 3 3/4" when closed (about 6 1/2" open). Can easily be concealed in the palm. And it's nice and light (sturdy, but light)
    The second is about 5" closed, and about 9" open. Can almost be concealed if I'm wearing a longer shirt than I usually wear (if it's clipped to the top of my pants). Good, sturdy, and heavy. I'd venture to say it weighs about a pound.

So what knives do you guys own/use?

2. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

I've got a simple Buck knife that I use fot opening boxes and such. It is your standard click out blade, and it has a rubber handle.

I just found the part number/name:

Buck Protege - Model 450RD

link

It works great, and all Buck knives have a lifetime warantee, so if it breaks, I just send it back and get a new one. :D

- tf

3. modz-a-lot

modz-a-lot What's a Dremel?

break away blade and exacto :D

4. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

The first blade there Uber is just so so, in my opinion, looks like it was made by Disney. The second is nice looking though.

I've got a Traditional style katana, just a stainless steel blade, ABS hilt; as well as a 6 or 7 inch (blade length) hunting knife, with a dragon inked on the side of the blade, stainless steel also.

Both those swords are for decoration, being stainless steel they would only be effective on flesh and bone, not other weapons; however it didn't stop a friend and I from sword playing none the less (his was stainless steel as well).

I also have a purely decorative sword, the Sword of Darkness (as seen here) which has an unsharpened blade, however it weighs a good lot and would be just as effevtive as a skull crushing instrument.

Then down in the kitchen there's the lovely Miracle Blade III set, which is positively perfect, the sharpest knives I've ever used, and a knife for every job; quite a steal that one was.

Otherwise there's exacto knives all over the house, in the garage, the cars, everywhere, the single most useful item ever.

Also this summer if schedule permits, I'd like to work on making myself a nice ax.

5. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

The thing about the first one is that it's so easily concealable... and so frigging sharp. It wouldn't kill a man, but you wouldn't want to be on the recieving end, I assure you. The thing about that knife is that it adds a bite to a punch or a quick slash. It's not a combat weapon on its own.

The second knife I do love (a bit embarassing, I've been playing with it since I got it), but I just can't conceal it unless I'm wearing a jacket, and with the weather being in the 90's, I'm not going to wear a jacket...

But no, the first is not a disney knife, I assure you. It's the same quality (same company) as the second one, just a smaller package with a helluva curve.

6. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

I've got this Buck knife here - Folding Alpha Hunter: http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/214/238
    It's nice but I'm not terribly impressed with the blade, the blade edge has gotten dented somehow and I haven't cut anything harder than tape/cardboard.

7. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

just wondering, why do you all need/have such decorative knifes ? I can understand swords, there just damn cool! but knifes ??

for the record, i only own a stanly knife to sharpen pencils :p

8. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

what the hell do u want a concealable knife for anyway?

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

At the moment I've got the blackFang of Baelin (scroll to the bottom) although I want the Valdris at some point.

10. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

It's the same reason. The only difference is you can actually use a knife in public (whether it's for security or to help someone open a bag of cheetos).
    Having a concealable knife is just slightly more reassuring when walking around downtown. A couple of my friends have been mugged down there by punk kids with knives. I'm the type that would rather die fighting than hand over my property to some punkass who told me to.
    Oddly enough, I'm also the type who would give all my money if someone really needed it. In other words, if they asked me nicely, I'd probly give em $10 or $20, just so they wouldn't go mug someone else (even though they probably still would).

11. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Oh yes, teh first one would certainly be a nice addition to your fist, I was simply refering to the fact it looks kinda silly.

Yeah, Bogo, I find all sorts of melee weapons of interest; so having a decorative one is just as nice as having a utility one. Knives, swords, axes, halberds, etc are all fascinating to me, much more than guns. Also perhaps the fact that I can actually use a sword or knife, where as I probably couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with gun.

quote=Ubermich]The only difference is you can actually use a knife in public (whether it's for security or to help someone open a bag of cheetos).[/quote]

While you enjoys yours for protection, mine are at home for show. If I want to protect myself I get to kick them in the junk and tie them up. Any more and I get to go to jail for 10-12 years. :blah: Even just having it on me; as well I'm usually at college most of the time during the semester.

12. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

See, apart from the fact that carrying a concealed weapon in highly illegal in the UK, I can't help thinking it would just be taken off me and used against me. I think a sturdy pair of boots and some wing chun would be a better investment. But that's just my opinion. The knifes and stuff are quite cool to look at but the klingon-esque ones are a bit geeky and katanas are getting a little passe, so what does that leave?

13. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Then, excuse me, but your a chump, a fool if i may!

If you need a knife to open a packet of crisps there must be somethign wrong with you anyway, and if you would even consider using it against someone for "security", then id also question your mentality! If someone says "gimme all your money", and you pull a knife on them, and even though you expect them to get scared and run off, they pull a gun! would you rather die trying to protect you £10 ? If you would, thats really just stupid!

As for the last bit, theres a broad line between being 'mugged', and charity! there no "oddly enough" about it. Oxfam do lots of charity, but it doesnt mean they go out in manchester in broad daylight trying to get mugged! Thats just stupid! what are you on about!

jonesie - I agree, there is a large risk the person attacking you is gonna be more used to combat like situations,. the risk of you getting it taken off you could be big!

Swords like of an ancient chinese origin are good, for showmanship, like fencing! But not for attacking. I cant see why knifes are the same, there small, everyone can see whern you have a big sword in your hand, but when you have a knife, they just go "look, hes got a knife", rather than "wow, look at that big shiney sword"! I may be wrong, if your from liverpool for example, you may attend regular knife markets, or if your from portsmouth you haveconventions for the best whaling gear! but otherwise im dubious!

14. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

The point about the muggings is that if they asked nice, I'd probably give them $10 or buy them dinner or sommit. But if they tell me to give them my wallet, **** them. And you tell me why they'd pull a knife on me if they had a gun. Guns aren't illegal the way they are in the UK. With a concealed handgun permit I could carry almost any handgun almost anywhere I want... and I'm a law-abiding citizen. You tell me why an unlawful person wouldn't be willing to threaten an individual with everything he has. Why an unlawful person, someone who is resorting to mugging people who may not even have anything in their wallet, would be wanting to keep a gun in the holster instead of pulling it and apearing to be a true threat.
    Also, things may be different there. But most of the punks around here wouldn't have the balls to shoot a person. Granted some do, but for the most part, they're just trying to play the role. And while I don't expect any of them to "get scared and run off" I do expect to fight for what is mine, however miniscule my wallet may be. I'm not completely untrained, and I'm not afraid of hurting an individual attempting to deprive me of my natural rights. That said, don't think I would just pull my knife and stand there waiting for their reaction. And don't think I would resort to the knife first thing, either. Just as you've said, it's not right for all situations. But it's right for some.

And the cheetos was a frigging example. Why do you have to take everything so literally? If I said "holy cow" would you look to see if there was a bovine decending from the heavens? :rolleyes:

15. fg0d

fg0d Banned

The funny thing is, I was never yeld at for holding a knife as a small child of 4 or 5 years. I used to play with knives all the time, cutting chips outta my desk. Then bought a small sword from Russia and brung it over the airport and bought a satchel of small knives in Austria.. but those are all gone now..

16. apollyon

apollyon What's a Dremel?

I've got this blade, cept mine is stamped from there first millenium run so you can stamp on prolly another 10 or 20 bucks to the value. And how much did i pay for this you ask? not a d#%m penny. After it sat in the lost and found at my last job for 2+ months i figured whoever lost it had forgotten about it or was to embarrased to pick it up, so i claimed it along with my lost work keys one day.

as far as the purpose of these things, there mostly for show, though they can obviously be resold at profit. I wouldn't really suggest carrying them on you, unless you have a concealed weapons permit. And as far as "rather die fighting than lose 10 or 20 dollars", sry not to back you up as a knife lover (have eyes on a few swords online but am trying to find one that's not a machine-made piece of crap but still less then my yearly income) but it's a proven fact that when you pull a weapon on someone it increases the danger exponentially. If you pull a knife on a mugger more often then not there not gonna think "oh crap, a knife, better get outta here", there gonna panic and someone's gonna end up being hurt. sry m8, but i'd rather lose 10 or 20 bucks to a mugger then see myself or any1 i'm with injured. One of those "lesser of two evils, pick your battle" sorta situations.

17. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

My knives

I've got

2 Leatherman Wave's:
    Leatherman Wave

1 Basic black Butterfly knive.

1 clip open knive (with wouden handle)

1 very light clip open knive, very durable and sharp, this is one of my favorites.

1 Swiss Army knive ,
    but it one of those versions, thats toghether with another brand, forgot wich one though, the spring for the scissor is built in the knive, the blade locks when opened, and the screw driver goes in the knive when u push it, so it dosn't clap toghether when u put strength on it.

1 cheap throwing knive, never worked .. or maybe its just me

thats about it I guess..
    L

18. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

carrying weapons does not make you safer, cf the number of policemen killed with their own guns...

Frankly, anyone who is going to risk their life over their wallet either has a winning lottery ticket in it or is a moron.

Sam

19. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

There are a large abundance of crazy knife shops in Germany, but what amused me about the last one I saw was the proudly displayed "swiss army knife with integral 182 meg thumbthrive" :)

20. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

I have never particularly seen the point in those huge knives and I have stopped playing with my pocket knife when I sliced right through the top part of my index finger. About 1cm of the top part of my finger was hanging on a bit of skin and you could easly bend it around. I had to get stitches into the finger, which isn't the nicest place to get stitches. I've been scared of knives ever since. As for self protection - I have never been mugged in any way in the city, even in the middle of the night. I occasionally carry pepperspray if I'm alone but I would think twice about using it if there was someone asking for money with a gun pointed at my nose.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2004