1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Kuroikigani

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dellyjoughnut, 19 Jul 2021.

1. Dellyjoughnut

Dellyjoughnut What's a Dremel?

I've lurked here long enough and walked into Micro Center enough to give me the motivation to make my case entirely from scratch after looking at a shelf full of cases but not the one I want.

The title of this build has no meaning. I gave it the most random name I came up with while sounding Japanese for this post. Like Häagen-Dazs. Sounds Dutch, but has no meaning.

The materials chosen will be limited to a budget of some sort and my abilities because the costs involved can blow past an estimate of $3000.

The main gist of this build:
    • Segregate GPU due to heat output compared to other components
    • Includes air filter of some sort with enough airflow instead of a mesh screen
    • Make it float
    • Wireless Qi Charger

The Build Itself Going Forward.

I used Fusion 360 to get a sense of what I am working with. I haven't settled on the orientation of the PSU and storage drives. They will be on the right side of the case. A small portion of what I designed in Fusion will be referenced in the build such as the case and placement of components.

The whole case will use aluminum extrusions as the skeleton of the build. This is what I am starting with. Dimensions are 19" x 26" x 25" (Width x Depth x Height in inches) for the frame. Aluminum extrusions are 1" x 1". The dimension itself is large enough to house 2 computers in one frame. I made it this large to have adequate airflow through air filters I want to use but haven't decided which ones. I do not plan to use mesh-type filters on PCs.

I'm currently waiting for the corner brackets to come in.

2. Dellyjoughnut

8/4/2021

I got my corner brackets a few weeks ago and did some modifications to make them work with the screws I got from McMaster Carr. I've been working to complete the main structure due to my busy schedule

[​IMG]
    What you see in this photo is the main base of my PC. I'm using metal wire rope for this build to implement Tensegrity. This is the first inspiration going into this build. I'm doing this because of the Tensegrity posts from last year. It got me thinking to look into Kenneth Snelson's work to understand it.

One thing that irked me about the tensegrity structures posted recently was I think they were more like a suspension-based Tensegrity structure where the main and exterior links are flexible and in tension. I do not see what is recognized as a compression element when the links are in tension.

I plan with this build to utilize Snelson's definition of Tensegrity. A structure holding compressible and tensile members in separation.

[​IMG]
    Adding the parts for tensioning the wire rope to the base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are machined blocks for which I will be using to lift my PC after adding a stop to the wire rope in my desired location.

[​IMG]
    I was testing the turnbuckle function before proceeding further.

[​IMG]
    This photo shows I will be using a single aluminum rod in order to lift my PC case above the base. I figured that the property of Tensegrity can be exploited to use this effect. It's very unstable in its current state until I find a way to attach the wire rope to the main base. I can confirm the whole case is being lifted by that single aluminum rod on the base if I held it neutrally in my hand.

Applepie and Cheapskate like this.
  3. dan297

dan297 Modder

That is going to be a really fancy design :thumb:

Have you considered to use 3D connectors instead of the brackets?

Unbenannt.jpg

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

love the idea. :D It's too early in the day for my brain to wrap around this. I assume you are missing a support in the Y axis still?
    Also, is there any way to use springs for tensioning so the whole thing can be more "floaty"?

5. Dellyjoughnut

I did. I choose not to because I wasn't sure how the exterior is going to be such as screw-on metal, wood, or plastic panels, and call it done.

6. Dellyjoughnut

I wanna say yes, there is a way to use spring for tensioning, but not sure where to add them. It's why I when for block and cable clamps to provide a point for lifting. The clamps on the tensioning wire rope to the center rod aren't necessary. I could drill and tap a hole for a 1/4-20 screw to hold the wire rope in the blocks at that point.

Y-support? I'm assuming side to side and not the z-axis in the direction of the rod. I'm still working on how to tension it and looking for the pivot point.

7. Dellyjoughnut

8/7/2021

After spending 3 days and fiddling with the wire rope, clamps, and using regular wire for a better way of stabilizing the whole structure. I present my finished tensegrity structure supporting the cube. I can confirm the base is attached to the cube through the metal wires which also stabilizes the tilting and sway of the whole thing. The base isn't in the middle as I wanted but I think it will work to my benefit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Applepie, Cheapskate and arduum like this.
  8. Dellyjoughnut

8/26/2021

Small Update

I am using a motherboard tray from Mountain Mod because I need easy serviceability and grounding of the motherboard to the power supply.

[​IMG]

This is a video of the case currently. It's hard to describe how I balanced the case. The base will be hidden once I figure out the theme of this case.

Applepie and Cheapskate like this.
  9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I can see you having issues with weight distribution.