1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Kwik-Fit sued for listening to radio

Discussion in 'General' started by alextwo, 5 Oct 2007.

1. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

The music industry is going to eventually destroy itself, and still manage to blame everyone but itself with its last dying breath.

2. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

IIRC it comes under the TV License (Black and white).

3. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I hope this is a joke.
    Agreed. It would be nice if music was produced pro bono. We'd have fewer shi**y productions due to the scarcity of money-driven labels.

4. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

We were banned from listening to radio when I worked at JJB. Then they replaced it with possibly the worst musial abomination ever... "Radio JJB". Basically they had session artists covering popular songs.

It was bad. So very very bad.

Joe

5. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

I work at a school as a Media Technician, so I'm the one who helps the kids edit their coursework videos for Media Studies qualifications. Unfortunately, I have a sinking feeling that one day, perhaps a bit sooner than I'd like, the school will get sued for using copyrighted music in the kids videos... :(

After seeing the most recent news articles it really wouldn't shock me if the industry tried to.

6. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

So would listening to my MP3 phone incite prosecution?

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The law says that is does make a difference, quite explicitly so. I don't think that this case will succeed because it will create an awkward precedent that is bad for business and difficult to enforce.

It is also phenomenally stupid: any song broadcast on public radio is free advertising. In the end, market forces will prevail. People will not turn off, but turn to free alternatives instead. Indie music will thrive while corporate music chokes on its own greed. Personally, I can't wait.

8. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

This is so stupid.

1. It's ok for me to listen to a radio.
    2. It's ok for someone standing next to me to listen to the same thing I'm listening to on their own radio.
    3. If I'm listening to a radio and the person standing next to me can hear my radio then I can get sued and have my arse handed to me in a hat.

What a joke. Isn't the radio station already paying the royalties on the songs (presumably) based on their ratings? It shouldn't matter if people are listening to the broadcast on their own reciever or the one from someone nearby - the same number of people would hear the music. Talk about trying to double dip.

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

No you can't (if out in public), read the relevant Act before criticising it.

Providing entertainment in the workplace to workers or customers is a different ball-game.

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

But if the workers have music on while they work (in a garage it can get boring) then the customers may overhear it.

If Kwik-Fit provided the radios then yes, it's wrong.

11. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

If firms provide amenities at work to keep the staff (and customers) happy, they should expect to pay for them. If they allow the staff to provide their own, they should check they're both safe (eg, PAT tested) and legal.

Twist it a bit. If the garage mechanic was negligent in repairing your car, causing you to have an accident, who do you sue, the mechanic or his employers? It's well established in civil law that the employer is liable.

Tags: