1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Lag free voice over LAN?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Yotta, 21 Aug 2008.

1. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

Can anyone put me straight on a good way to achieve lag free voice chat when LAN gaming?

At the moment I'm using Teamspeak, I run its server program on the same PC I play on and also run the game's listen server on. Is running all that on one PC likely to be the problem, because I get quite a significant delay with the voice?

The PC running the game and servers has gigabit LAN, the other one has 10/100. Both connected through a Netgear router with 15m of cat5.

I tried Ventrilo, but that was worse.

Any tips much appreciated.

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Maybe host it on a more powerful comp, or a dedicated one

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

How large is this "significant delay"?
    You have to factor in that the voice you record gets recorded, sent to the server app THEN out to the clients, there is naturally going to be a delay and there isn't much that can be done. This delay however is usually only half a second to a second at most.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

and what's your host computer's spec? may be running low on CPU power

5. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

I'd say it's less than a second, maybe half a second. Still that's annoying enough and causes us to inadvertently speak over the top of each other.

I would have thought over LAN that the lag could be reduced to almost zero with the right app? I don't get anywhere near that amount of lag with something like MSN, and that goes all round the exchanges and ISPs and back.
    I'd feel like such a knob, but had thought about using that instead. Anyone do that?

It's running a Q6600 at 3.01 GHz & 4GB Corsair XMS2 -6400C4.

Tags: