1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress LAN Box 3.0

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Pot Of Jam, 6 Sep 2010.

1. Pot Of Jam

Pot Of Jam What's a Dremel?

Hello All,
    This is my first atempt at doing a build log.

I have though built lots of yummy computers in the past and even though i have had alot of problems (as you will find out in this log) I stick with it. I may shout at an inimate object for a good ten minuets before I continue, but thats me!

OK, this is not my first build, this is my 3rd LAN box build (hence the cunning title).

This encarnation of my LAN box will feature the following bits and pieces:

Sillverstone SUGO SG07 case
    ZOTAC G41ITX-A-E
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    2GB Crucial Balistix Tracer
    ATi Radeon HD4870 512mb
    CoolIT ECO A.L.C (Donated to me by CoolIT at i40)
    Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ 500gb HDD

Now alot of those parts dont sound awe inspiring, but this is a buget LAN box that will be run on a 19" monitor. I am trying to get my hands on some new\second hand parts, mainly a 4870 x2 as the one in my main PC is awesome and you can pick thhem up reasonable cheeply on ebay.

So for a few taster Pics:
    The only bits that are new are the case, cooler and MoBo, so i shall show these in a little detail.

Firstly the case; Silverstone SUGO SG07B.

First thing i noticed about this case is the weight, its heavy! for a SFF case its very heavy, but as it has a full 600w ATX PSU in it you kinda understand why.

[​IMG]

It certainly is pretty

It Looks very cramped inside but once you get the 180mm fan out from the top it becomes increadably easy to build a PC in to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next the CoolIT ECO A.L.C

This is a very nice bit of kit donated to me By CoolIT at i40 (thanks to Chris at CoolIT and Tom From CCL computers)

I have done many many, many watercooling loops in the past, but this is my first all in one solution, and I have to say it reaks of quality.
    [​IMG]

In the box you get all the fittings for all the major sockets for both camps.

[​IMG]

Last but least... The bane of my existance\ Zotac G41ITX-A-E.

Firstly let me remind you of my bad luck...

The board itself is very nice looking and very well laid out with plugs and sockets in good postions i believe you would get a fair sized cooler on the CPU.

While taking photos,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spoted this....

[​IMG]

Face + Palm = Me

So I RMA'd it with scan and got a replacement. guess what...

[​IMG]

Face + Palm + Tears = Me

Some of you will say "Thats the same pic" and you will be right! but I couldn't be arsed taking another pic and wasting the ware and tare on my SLR to take another picture of EXACTLY THE SAME THING!!!

So it is currently being wisked away to Scan again for another replacement.

I hope my next post will have pictures of components in the case.

Jam Out People

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's nothing a moment with a soldering iron wouldn't fix. It's even on the edge where you can't mess it up.