1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Laptop blocking router?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by euroned, 3 Dec 2011.

1. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

I have a very strange problem, when i turn my dell laptop on and after 5-20mins of use my broadband will drop. I mean my whole broadband, both other pc connected will also be booted, one wired to the router and another pc via wireless network card! It can't be just the wireless, because my other pc works fine, wirelessly, until i turn the laptop on.
    I have spoken to my ISP about this but they are not understanding that the wireless broadband is fine just the laptop problem!
    Can the laptop cause this to happen and what can i do to help prevent it?

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks

Neil

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

What router do you have? I thought I had a similar (actually almost identical come to think of it) problem - turned out to be a dying router rather than the laptop...

Sent from Bittech Android app

3. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

Its a D-link DSL 2680, but have tried a netgear dg834g and same problem! I'm convinced its something to do with the laptop that ?is interferring with the router/phone socket. Because only whe the laptop is on in wireless mode does this happen! Can the wifi card in the lappy be causing the problem?..Do wifi cards die slowly and cause some feeddback loop that will drop the router?

Advice plz?

Thanks

Neil

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Strange... We changed our router and it's sorted now (same computers as before) - I have also gone down the route of having as few devices as possible connected via wireless - otherwise I'm a bit stumped sorry...

Sent from Bittech Android app

5. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

I work for an ISP, and have found this issue with our routers and some newer laptops (mostly Dells).

It's a problem with the wireless n in the newer chipsets, and a feature called "power save polling"

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

Seems to be when a router is not fully N compatible, but laptop assumes it is. The solution is to either disable N in the router, in the laptop or disable the P.S.P. feature.

Hope this has been helpful!

**ninja edit**

Having said that, not sure why it'd affect dg834g as it's not n enabled.

6. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

I have a Dell Latitude D820 running windows 7, working fine on wireless and battery, fine with wired, but when plug the mains power adaptor my whole internet connection drops. Only when i have unplugged the power lead from the laptop, does normal internet connection reset! I have pc wired and another pc on wireless all working well, it just seems to be when laptop plugged into mains that i have problem.

The router is plugged into the master socket and all sockets have microfilter, that have all been changed. I have tried the test socket and that seems to work, but is not practical to remain open. Does that indicate a problem with the power adaptor causing some interference with the master socket or the master socket itself?

Please help getting nowhere with my isp, and want to use the laptop!

Thanks

Neil

7. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

It was the power adaptor for the laptop, changed it and not had any problems since! Obviously it had degraded and was sending out interference that dropped my internet!

Resolved... :D

Neil