1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop Chassis Repair

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 7 Nov 2017.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

While working on a Dell N5110 today - a deeply stupid design when it comes to HDD access, I discovered 2 of the 4 pillars that hold the screen hinge screws has broken off at some point...

I need to glue them as they are moulded into the base, and that would be a huge transplant if you could find a donor.

Superglue or Araldite?? It's not great but would save a 1/2 decent i3 laptop that is getting an SSD boost.

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

3. Arboreal

Lancer, thank you on both counts mate :thumb:

Good to have a plan B, albeit with a lot more labour involved. Araldite it is then

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

No probs. If you do go with plan b, check that that base is the correct one, I saw a couple of variants last night (HDMI or no HDMI I think). Dell usually put the part numbers on stickers so have a look when your repairing the hinge mounts incase you do need to replace it as you wont have to take it all apart again then.

5. Arboreal

Thanks again, I hope not to have to use that option. A friend who does a lot of repairs suggested hot gun glue as even better as it's sticky, (araldite is more brittle, apparently) and you can build with it.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

If the breaks are clean just use plastic weld.