1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by da-dude, 31 Mar 2004.

1. da-dude

da-dude What's a Dremel?

hey all

i got given a laptop for free, a siemens nixdorf scenic mobile 500 - not exactly top class but at least it was free!

when it was with my sister it was working, then, after a period of time when she didnt use it, it stopped working. Now when i plug the ac adaptor in, the left battery indicator (the battery is in the left bay) shows the battery to be full, and the adaptor to be plugged in, but it wont turn on at alll. I tried it in the right bay to the same effect; it shows a battery with full charge in the right bay but when i press the power button, the lights and indicators just go off

anyone have any ideas how to get this working? ive never used a laptop before so would love this one to work!

Last edited: 31 Mar 2004
  2. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

have you tried it without the battery in the laptop at all just run it off the ac adaptor?

3. da-dude

da-dude What's a Dremel?

yer, same thing happens

[​IMG]

theres a pic of what is displayed, the power light comes on until you press it then goes off! After a few seconds, it come back on again until you press it again

4. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

so you push the power butten and the power light comes on.. then it stays on untill you push it again right?

try putting you ear to the laptop in a few different places and see if you can hear the hd spinn up when you press power..

also running laptop off the ac adaptor with the battery in can kill the battery if you leave it like that for too long.

5. da-dude

da-dude What's a Dremel?

nah the exact opposite lol! the power light is on, until i press the button! then it goes off!
    i cant hear anything at all from the lappy, no hdd, no fans :waah:

6. Carbon

Carbon Banned

dead system board

/me is a laptop engineer...lol (fix tosh's and ibm's :eeek: )

7. da-dude

da-dude What's a Dremel?

dammit! i was hoping it wasnt gona be that!

ah wel looks like its going on ebay :D

thanks for all the help dudes