1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop powers off....

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Denis_iii, 16 Sep 2009.

1. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

hey guys

think my clevo M575U is on the way out, it just powers itself off sometimes and I'd like to track down the cause.

Its not a software issue, no event or minudumps etc.

Laptop will just be chucking away and then click its off. Status lights show its still getting power. Try to turn it back on and it'll get just past the gpu post or to mem test and the click, powers itself off again.

Either i need to disconnect the powerbrick from laptop, and like 10minutes later it will come on. But generally I need to unplug the kettle lead from power brick so it gets no power for about 5-10minutes, plug it back in and then it works.

this is an off an on things, happened about 2 weeks ago, and then repeated itself today.

the ***** gets rather warm, as does the laptop, which is normal, i've never put my ear to the power brick which i just tried and it makes some strange noises.

is this normal?

it not the cpu overheating, i had core temp logging last night and laptop died 1am whilst i was asleep, when i woke up it wouldn't power on, doing the same as going to the bios or just past gpu post, again i had to unplug the power brick for awhile and then it started up. the core temp log showed cpu temp avg at 33 degree's celsious with 0 load
    its a core duo 2ghz yonah

so, am i right in thinking its the power brick?
    do I need to get the same power brick from clevo or will getting another with same 20V 6.0A output work fine?

any ideas how to further narrow down the issue, only powrebrick i could find was like 50quid so don't want to waste that and it doesn't fix the issue.......
    thanks alot, sorry for the mesed up post but i'm typing quick incase laptop crashes again

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

sounds like the transformer is overloaded.. is it a high pitched squeeling noise? if you unplug it from the computer does it still squeel? if it does that brick is toast get a new one

otherwise your pulling too much power through it.. could be the laptop charging the battery while running

3. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Alot of power adapters make noise. If it's not loud, most people don't notice. Sometimes they will emit a strange sound when they are bad, or on the way out; but unless you've put your ear to it before and know what a normal sound sounds like, is hard to tell.

Some laptops will do a hard shutdown when over-heated, and won't give the drives enough time for a mini-dump. Some laptops offer a report log in the bios, and will save an overheat error there.

If you do get another supply, go with the same Mfgr make/model adapter. If there pricey, check Ebay.

A few laptop models I work on, have to be taken apart to fully clean the heatsinks inside. even when using air to blow inside them, a build up can occur that is next to impossible to remove without tweezers or fingers. If you can, use a flashlight to shine in the intake/out-take while your look through the other side. See if you can see through, or if there is a dust bunny collection in the way.

A word of caution, taking a laptop apart and putting it back together correctly is harder then a desktop. If you think it's overheating and want to take it apart to find out, look up and see if there is a dis-assemble and re-assemble guide for your model.

Try a "Live Cd", such as Hiren's or "ultimate boot cd" or even Ubuntu would work. Leave it on that way for a while and see if it still does it. That can rule out most of your software problems.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah but if his battery is bad.. that could be causing too much power draw- would shut down a new adapter

5. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

True about the bad battery, shouldn't harm anything running it without battery during testing.

6. Denis_iii

the battery is dead but is connected
    i removed it first time this occured and tried to power on but got the same result
    i'll check wether the powerbrick is makin any noise when not powerin the laptop and hopefully find a log in the bios
    its not even a shutdown, laptop just turns off immediately

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

When I had that, it was basically overheating. Taking the laptop to bits and reapplying thermal goo fixed it. The laptop had been left on day and night and day for ages as a downloading machine and finally just gave up. Still works to this day, afaik.

8. Denis_iii

mine gave up the ghost on friday
    would post gpu and then die or not even show gpu and then die
    just got it back up today, powered on and hit all the function keys one of which turns off teh display
    and it booted and disaply came back on by itself at the windows boot screen "safe mode/last known good etc"
    question is, is the laptop shagged or the powerbrick?

9. Denis_iii

so it kept powering off and tapping the funciton key and various F keys would get it to boot
    then i remove the dvd writer and it booted fine this morning :)
    just have to monitor and fingers crossed it will stay up
    now, wether to leave it as is or purchase another dvd drive and see if that fixes it

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Denis: Sounds like a bad drive causing a short or something, does the interface on the back look ok?

Not unless a complete moron designed the laptop it wouldn't - the idea is that you have an adapter capable of powering your laptop at full-tilt and charge the battery at the same time.

11. Denis_iii

there was a clump of dust on the back
    have replaced it and it started fine
    will have to leave for a fwe weeks and hopefully doesn't reoccur
    it happened one day then didn't occur until a well later so fingers crossed
    funny thing is the laptop runs so much cooler and seems nipper with the dvd drive out

12. Denis_iii

lol well it happened again
    it was all fine with lcd dimmed to lowest and dvd drive out, but then increased to brightest and then it crashed
    reckon it is the powerbrick and when it draws to much power it turns itself off?

13. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Try running it with an external display only, not the onboard and external at the same time, just the external. Possibly be a bad inverter for the screen or the screen itself. However, I think more testing is required, as (maybe) it turned itself off at the same time you were changing brightness, but because you were doing something it looks like the brightness change caused it.
    I had a laptop, different model, was a sony vaio, but the dvd drive on it didn't work, and after changing it three times with NEW drives, none of them worked. But when the drives were not in, it worked fine, but put one in, and it wouldn't boot. Ended up offering the customer a usb drive, and leaving the drive out of it; with a warning that their laptop was probably on the way out.

14. SH4D0WM4NZ

SH4D0WM4NZ What's a Dremel?

sounds like gpu overheathing. take it appart and check for dust in your heatpipes,
    if you dont fancy that, canned air / compressor.

15. Denis_iii

lol so anyways the powering off business has sort of stabilised after removing the dvd drive and dead battery
    it just turns off on average once or twice every few days and simply disconnecting power brick for 10 seconds then turning on sorts it
    new symtom though :) now it seems all blacks are showing as red/black interlace line even in bios on startup
    all colours from white and yellow are affected but the black to red is most noticeable
    gpu fragged? i read a faulty psy may cause this on a pc?
    yes yes i know i'm going to get a replacement, just trying to find a laptop I want

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd agree with that diagnosis, definitely a hosed GPU, although whether it's the PSU or overheating of some kind I don't know. PSU would make sense though.

17. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

This has nvidia graphics yeah?

The amount of lappies I get with dead nvidia cards in them ><

18. Denis_iii

i'm definately getting amd gpu in next laptop
    just can't find anything with 4830/4860/4850/4870
    hp envy 15 looks good, but overpriced and has issues