1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Laptop Screen & More

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lunn1, 19 Aug 2012.

1. Lunn1

Lunn1 What's a Dremel?

So I had an older Alienware laptop that i disassembled last week and I have kept the important parts (Motherboard, processor, cards, screen). The pieces (motherboard and such) are being kept because im afraid to trash them and then have a use for them. The laptop shut down one day and never started back up. :(

I do have an idea for the screen (detailed below), it's a Samsung 15.4 inch WXGA screen. The resolution can be set to 1620 X 1080.

Basically i am reaching out to the forum to advice on other uses for the screen. Obviously i can go to ebay and spend 30 bucks and buy a controller and convert the screen to a desktop monitor.

Instead I have spent my Sunday scouring the internet for ideas and parts. I found a touchscreen panel on ebay for 100 bucks, not bad considering I now have the idea of a custom built tablet. For 30 bucks I can go back to ebay and purchase a replacement battery for an Ipad (which definately replaces a bulky laptop battery). As far as storage i was thinking about getting a SSD drive to handle all storage.

With the paragraph above, I'd like to add the touch panel to the screen and put together a custom tablet. Although i foresee lots of time behind the desktop reading up on software and hardware forums. I need some help trying to make this concept work. Obviously i can mod the laptop by removing the keyboard then add the screen there...but that would be against my final objective.

I figured that there will be problems with compiling all the parts (SSD, battery, wireless, screen...).

Let me know what your thoughts.

Yes i know it would be cheaper to buy a Tablet but if i wanted to that route i wouldn't be on this site.

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

There are some mitx motherboards that have lvds/fpd-link built in for driving such notebook screen. Depending on the cpu and ram, etc you got from it you could use it all to make a decentish all in one style pc. I think it would be a lot easier and less expensive to design and produce than anything portable.