1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop To Replace My Rig? What You Think Of This?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keef247, 31 Dec 2007.

1. keef247

keef247 Minimodder

Basically I want a good detailed comparison for my current rig vs. the replacement I'm going for...

And I'm thinking of selling all that and replacing it with....

So what I want to know is... how much of a nice difference am I going to notice with this lil fella?
    I DON'T care about games... just making that CLEAR before I get pointless flames on the gfx card... I have a 360 elite + 1080i 37"HDTV so I'm sorted for games ta: naughty::D

I know it's dual core so I reckon I'm definitely going to notice the difference with this compare to my trusty xp-m... coupled with the 2gb ram I reckon this would be nice and smooth for vista business and Photoshop whilst say burning a dvdr in Nero and switching between msn/Firefox/Photoshop whilst burning... with the Phillips 5mp webcam I have going...

As for gaming... As I say I do have a 360elite and a nice TV but I did used to play css... I know it'd obviously run 1.6 nice but css what do you reckon? It’s a "shared" 256mb integrated but I have 2 GB to play with... If not as I say above I couldn't care less as I doubt I'll get round to it tbh...

running this "15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™" vs. my Dell D1226H 19" @ 1600x1200@70Hz will it be a nice change or will I find myself cluttered? I quite like the idea of widescreen layout over traditional and that 15.4 seems like a reasonably high res for the size of the screen so I'm hoping everything won't be huge and I can spread everything nice and read text well and laid out within WebPages...

What downsides will I have if any except from the "it's a laptop not a laid out pc" (i.e. keyboard/mouse) as IF I need to I could use my excising keyboard/mouse when at home... I probably will use my mouse anyway ;) its nice ;)

With the 1.86Ghz C2D 1MB cache and 2GB DDR2 ram will vista honestly be smooth as I like both xp pro sp2 and vista business/ultimate... so I could run either: naughty: so I could haggle the one you recommend instead of being bundled with something I don't need...

Honest thoughts and opinions... my budgets £430 to the max and I really can't afford anymore than that tbh...
    If there is a better spec machine then link me please (UK only)

Cheers I look forward to what you think... I also hope this is allot easier to read that my usual posts... as I know I rush things (sorry)

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Looks good to me, it should be pretty fast and smooth. I wouldn't count on playing CS:S on it though. :)

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Source will probably play, but whether you'll have enough fps to be able to play online is a different matter...
    Should be no probs with vista, 2gb ram will help things no end. You'll probably have to disable aero though, not sure how well the integrated graphics will cope :(
    On another note, check the base spec of the laptop your after, you may find its cheaper for you to upgrade the memory yourself rather than have dell do it for you.

4. keef247

keef247 Minimodder

you reckon? got any links mate to sites for ram and what ram it'd need? well without aero i wouldn't see the point in running it tbf.

5. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

Try and up the processor to a core 2 duo rather than just the pentium dual core if you can. Also, look at the dell vostro notebooks, they're much better built than the inspirons.

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Aero will be fine, it doesn't need much power. :)

7. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Code:
     Originally Posted by DELL
    Components
    Intel® Pentium® dual-core processor T2130 (1.86 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2-cache)   	|maybe a tad bit weak, but should do fine.
    Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English						|Why business? Go for a home verson
    1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
    No Accidental Damage Support
    15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™				|In my opinion this resolution is to low. You spend all day scrolling on websites. OTOH some people find that higher res. makes everything to small. It is a laptop after all. You sould always use an external monitor. Interal ones are made to be portable, not comfortable....
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive								|A bit slow, but it'll be OK. I guess you need an external drive anyway (for storage)
    Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
    9 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 Whr)
    No Floppy Drive
    Resource DVD - (Diagnostics & Drivers)
    Accessories
    Dell™ Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini-PCI Card (for Dual-Core Processors)
    No Bluetooth Upgrade									|Sure you don't need this?
    No QuickSnap® LCD Back Cover
    No Carry Case
    Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio
    Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English								|Useless IMO. Spend a little more and get a proper office package.
    No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English
    Also Includes
    Internal Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    N1264054
    Inspiron Order - UK
    English Documentation with UK Power Cord
    56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter - UK
    1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
    Dell Internet Order.
    HSB Order
    65W AC Adapter

OK, so this turned out a bit strange. Scroll to the right to see my comments....

8. keef247

keef247 Minimodder

yeah i just noticed its not a C2D:S bloody dell... i was on a C2D and then tabbed an inspiration with a vostro tab... and when i went to go to what i thought was C2D it had changed it with my selection of laptop in the other tab that i was wanting to view after specing a vostro:\
    sucks.well i will checkout a C2D as originally planned.
    So you can get a 160gb for 20?
    I understand your point value wise about how much its worth now i was just under the impression I'd gone for C2D and thats why I was SO alarmed at the price difference.
    MY mistake mate;) sorry

9. TheVoice

TheVoice What's a Dremel?

The Vostros and Inspirons are essentially identical though, just the Vostros are black.

10. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Source will sorta play on it, my mate has a C2D Toshiba with integrated, and it plays some maps. I only say this as some other posters mentioned it...
    First question though, do you REALLY need a laptop? If you aren't, don't buy one.

The screen you will find cramped, and performance will be only OK, not absolutely excellent, but you should be fine. Don't bother with memory upgrades from the manufacturer themselves, they are always more expensive (basically). I personally don't see why you don't simply do some more major upgrades on your desktop. You have a great power supply and a good enough graphics card for basic use.

11. keef247

keef247 Minimodder

because i want a laptop to use at my grandparents and to connect to wifi down there and be able to have my pc anywhere in my house and plug it into my 37" HDTV as a monitor and use a wireless keyboard/mouse and sit back and browse on that then pick it up and take it somewhere just like that.etc etc.

12. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

This situation really relies on personal taste, but I got a laptop for school, and an upgraded desktop, I use my desktop for games and movies, and the laptop for basic web browsing and the likes. I don't think I'll never not have a laptop again unless i cannot afford it. If you're willing to commit to that, I'd say go for it, the one thing that bothers me with mine is the keyboard, but after a week of visiting relatives and using that solely, I have no problems with it. It's nice to have a computer right there. I'd say go for the laptop personally, because as you said, not into heavy graphical use.

13. hitek420

hitek420 What's a Dremel?

I usually bring a mouse with me when I bring my laptop places, sometimes I bring a keyboard too :O