1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Laptop

Discussion in 'Modding' started by crazy_cow, 21 Aug 2002.

1. crazy_cow

crazy_cow What's a Dremel?

any links, ideas, know-how on laptop mods? a quick overview of what i got goin....acrylic case (any ideas on how to go about this), monito that rotates 270 deg for movie watching, detachable keyboard/mouse, and of course leds galore.....any other suggestions or ideas about how i should go about this?????

2. crazy_cow

come on, the questions not that ridiculous!

3. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Not really much of a help but buy a couple of Sony top of the range stuff and experiment with them. They have turning screens and stuff, and you can detach most laptop screens, but I would say it's best thing to do.

4. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

I'd love to mod my laptop, but I think the main thing that turns me off is that if I stuff it up, it's $4000 (AUS) down the drain... I think that's why there's not too many laptop mods out there.

5. Magnolius

Magnolius What's a Dremel?

I agree.. granted i got mine for $300(us-- off ebay!) but i still wouldn't want to fugg it up. I tried putting a clear decal on the top of it, but they are static cling i guess, and won't stay cause of the scratch resistant stuff on the top. Need to find a way to put it on there anyways, think i might try spray on adhesive :T oh well.

6. crazy_cow

i get kind of impatient so i took my laptop apart jsut to see if i could its not hat hard...its just a matter of getting the schuck off...the mobo and everything else are basically in one pice so thats not a big deal

i think im gonna get started on my laptop like tues or weds

7. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

I remember seing a guys laptop, where he aha polished the magnesium case, it was a vaio, It looked real sharp but probably fingerprinted really badly.

On another side you could probably metalize everything, I just sort of won a laptop off ebay(hadnt met his reserve but still optimistic) and I might try that.

8. crazy_cow

9. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

one thing you could do is to take the laptop completely apart & put the innerds & keybaord someware safe, then spray the plastic case with vinyl die as its easier for plastic (having remembered to use a de-greasent ont he case & then wash it. use a colour like blue or black to do every panel, make sure it is completely done, then put it together minus the electronics & use some regulair white paint & a small brush to make a marble effect. what you want to do is when its shut it looks liek the marble has been chissled from the same piece to look like a laptop, then when its open you want it to look like seperate pieces of marble have been used so your screen, keyboard & trackpad / left & tight buttons (on toshiba the mouse is a little joystic device & the buttons are seperate), this will draw attention & can actually fool your mind into thinking the screen is bigger.
    then get soem sealent, dis-assemble the laptop after the wite paint has dryed, spray a coating, then another, then light sanding, then another coat, tehn wet & dry paper the panels, what your after is to make the surface almost reflective which you can do
    dont forget to do your drives & we all want pikkies of the process

i was tempted to do this when my lappie fubard bad style but i got it working so was put off as it was working & i did not want to risk it

10. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

nope i dont think there much else over paint effects, dont evne think you could add a small serila lcd anywhere due to the lack of any power supply to hook it into
    a window could be possible butit will weaken your laptop & cpuld cause damged if it fell out & you did not notice & as everythings so squished in a laptop there wouldent be anything worth looking @

you could build a spring into the hinge that slowly raised the screen when the latch is opened (ie when the screen is shut the spring is partly uncoled but when you press the latch it allows the screen to rise & re-coil the spring