1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Large VFD modules - parallel port

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Jose Hidalgo, 18 Dec 2006.

1. Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo What's a Dremel?

Hi everybody,

I've read the LCD/VFD FAQ ( http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=44604 ).

My problem is that I've spent dozens of hours (really !) trying to find a 4x40 VFD (parallel port). Well, when I say "find" I mean "trying to find an online distributor that would actually SELL me the item. :D

I've tried several manufacturer sites, I've searched for distributors, I've mailed the manufacturers, etc, etc... without success. :waah:

So is there somebody on earth that would actually sell 4x40 VFDs (parallel) ?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you very much.

Jose

2. alejo

alejo What's a Dremel?

Hi Jose. Digikey (www.digikey.com) has Noritake 4x40 VFDs. Search for part number 286-1039-ND

This one has 16 pins wheras all my vfds (2x20 and 4x20) have always had 14 pins. :confused:

Anyhow, here is the data sheet.

3. agent420

agent420 What's a Dremel?

Be prepared for sticker shock if you plan to purchase a display of that size new from a standard supplier. I see the Digikey one is over $200 !!! Of course, that way you are assured the proper communication hookup.

Your best shot is to keep hunting for a surplus display, either through eBay or various surplus suppliers. Just be sure to verify it is the type of connection you need; many dirt cheap display use a specialized hookup you may never figure out.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2006
  4. Jose Hidalgo

Thanks alejo (wow ! over 200$ ! I wasn't prepared for that ! :eeek: )

Thanks towelie, er, agent420 :D . I'll follow your advice and keep searching.

Otherwise, I'll end up buying a 4x40 negative LCD (I've found some nice ones from Optrex - white or green over black background).

Oh, while we're at it, all the 4x40 LCDs/VFDs I've found are 190x54mm (external size). I know there are larger models (280x88mm), but I don't know how to find them !

I've contacted Matrix Orbital, but that's not a model they are selling online, so they are asking me to buy at least 1000 of them. :duh:

So I've contacted their supplier (Orient Display) to see if they have another distributor for that model, but they haven't answered me yet.

The model I'm looking for is this one : http://www.orientdisplay.com/products/AMC4004A.pdf (in negative - otherwise it would be too easy :wallbash: )

Maybe someone here has a brilliant idea ?

5. agent420

I don't think you'll have much luck finding a character-based matrix display of that size (at least one that is obtainable / affordable). Perhaps you need to make the move to a graphic lcd panel?

6. Jose Hidalgo

I'd love to... but graphic lcds seem to be either two small or too high !

For instance on 240x64 displays, the active area is smaller than the active area of a 4x40 display !

And for larger displays, all those that I know are almost as high as wide (and I need a display that would be quite wide - about 200mm, maybe more) but not very high (less than 90mm).

7. agent420

Just curious what your project is, sounds like you have rather exacting space requirements...

Only other thought would be to build some type of led matrix, they are available in many sizes...

8. -cage-

-cage- What's a Dremel?

This ebay store sells 20x2 alphanumeric OLED display modules for 9.99$
    and 20x4 characters Blue backlight LCD module HD44780 for 4.99$
    http://stores.ebay.com/Sure-Electronics
    I have bought leds from there and they arrived well packed. :)

9. agent420

Or something like these GU128X32-311 128 x 32 graphical vfd's... that's about the same as 4 x 40... Fairly large user base for info and supported by software for only $19.99... (but $11 shipping :confused: oh well, still beat $200)

edit.. oops I meant 4 x 21; perhaps you can use 2 displays side by side? It seems these models show up on eBay frequently.

Thinking about it, vfd displays much larger than that are pretty rare in the surplus market. I've seen some 2 x 40 displays, but 4 lines are pretty uncommon.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2006