1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Lasers

Discussion in 'Modding' started by riggs, 28 Nov 2002.

1. riggs

riggs ^_^

Hi guys...

Straight to the question:
    Can you buy laser modules that are pretty small, will run off a PC PSU (without too much modification - I'm a circuit n00b!) and also have a visible beam??

I think visible beam lasers have been mentioned before, but after a quick search I couldn't find them

Mad idea:
    [​IMG]

So, case with window, laser shines through (or behind) the window and reflects off mirror strips positioned on either side, and top/bottom of case...
    ...maybe even mount the laser to a motor to rotate it through 90degrees (ish) so the beams move...

...any ideas?

Matt

2. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

wouldnt it be easier to etch the window into something like that and put some red leds in the side of the window?

3. Sh00ter

Sh00ter What's a Dremel?

i know maplins do a small laser that rotates on a motor for about 29quid i think, was thinking of getting one just to sit inside the case, not what ur looking for but it may be able to be modded!:worried:

4. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

I think that we concluded that there isn't any (cheap) lasers available that has visible beam. Making those lines visible via etching could be a nice alternative though. :)

5. riggs

riggs ^_^

mmm, could do...but thinking about it, would look pretty sweet if the 'beams' moved...

would look like moving laser-trip mines!

:D

[EDIT] ok, japala, what if I could pick up one of the above mentioned lasers (no visible beam, mounted on a motor) and shine it though the window, still with mirrors in place...would there be anyway to make the beam visible (other than using a smoke machine!) - what about if the window had a texture/frosted appearance? [/EDIT]

Last edited: 28 Nov 2002
  6. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

The laser beams only show up in smoke because the laser bounces off of the particles (I think).

Adding a frosted window in front of the beam won't make any difference. You need to have something in the air that the laser can make contact with.

7. riggs

riggs ^_^

yeah, i meant shine the beam through the edge of the window - the perspex/plexi would have to be frosted right the way through though, so the laser has something so contact with (ie, 'frosty' particles within the plexi) - don't know if such a thing exists though :waah: ...

8. ChunderMan

ChunderMan What's a Dremel?

Could work if the laser intersected with the window all the way along, so that the beam was half in and half out of the frosted side if the window.
    The frosting would have to be real textured etching though, not a smooth aplique <sp?>. That way the laser would have somthing to refract of all the way along its beam.

9. ReversaL

ReversaL What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I bought 2 laser from maplins a while ago with exactly the same idea, I got the impression they where pretty powerfull and not all lasers need smoke to be visible. I havent tried mine yet as i still need the resistors :(

10. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

If you shine it through the your window from the side, it will refract something terrible. It will basicaly give your window a faint red glow, not a solid beam.

AstrumPreliator
    ":grr: "

11. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

you could make an enclousure of a window. Sort of like Mekus bubble tank but make it completely enclosed. Have the lasers set up inside with mirrors like you said and have some smoke inside. That way you could have the theme of smoked window with laser trip mines shining.

The smoke will allow the laser beam to be visible.

12. m00min

m00min What's a Dremel?

green lasers are visbile in air well more so than red, www.thinkgeek.com has some for sale

love m00min

13. riggs

riggs ^_^

those green lasers would be perfect, shame they're $139.99 - a bit out of my price range :waah:

m0nk3y, how would i fill the thing with smoke, i'd need a smoke machine right?

Matt

14. Sh00ter

Sh00ter What's a Dremel?

i think that depends wot ur cooling is like, ur blow hole will turn into a chimney! :hehe:

15. Boggy

Boggy What's a Dremel?

this topic has come up a few times recently all we need it sum 1 to do it, with a £30 mappers lazer thingy, i might do it when i get my nxt pay cheque depend how big, (the pay cheque included) the laser module base thing is weather it will fit in the case giving enough space she the beam to be projected on the 'frosted window'

16. Sh00ter

Sh00ter What's a Dremel?

right then...off to maplins we go!:naughty:
    think the "plasticote" frosting will do for the window? should give a diffused look if i put enough on! :D

17. purple

purple Minimodder

well ive just tried shining a laser through the edge of so plexi,

what else is there to do on a Saturday morning?

it was one out of a laser level, so i'm not sure how bright this is in comparison to others, the beam is about 3mm across.

with the edge still rough from cutting with a jigsaw the light does diffuse quite badly, once polished abit it shines strait, and gives you a dot on the other edge., only problem is that you cant see it it the plexi at all, i'm trying to see if i can find any colored plexi about.

as with that i think yo should be able to see the beam as it should have a few particles to reflect off..

i tried frosting the side a little, if you angle the laser a little you do get a nice line, but were talking about trying to adjust it through maybe 1-2 degrees to get the effect you want.... even less if you want it to bouce back and forth a few times

18. bAnTAi

bAnTAi What's a Dremel?

yeah...but you're using a laser that doesnt have a line beam right? because the mappers one does...so wont need the coloured plexi...

19. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Forget Red why not go with blooooo :D

[​IMG]

20. Deymos

Deymos What's a Dremel?

It's exactly how I figured to resolve this, but one issue remains:

smoke machines work vaporizing (i'm not sure i've spelled this correctly) a mixture of water and glycerine.... thus producing a lot of heat....
    More, smoke machines cost a buch of hard earned money:grr:

so the only way to make something like that is to buy a solid beam lazer.... if u find a red 1 that doesn't costs an eyeball make us know:sigh: