1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Last minute gaming rig decisions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by K-Biscuit, 6 Aug 2009.

1. K-Biscuit

K-Biscuit What's a Dremel?

Hello. I need to order parts for my new machine soon, I just have a few undecided components.

Core i7 920
    Asus P6T deluxe v2
    HD 4890 x2
    Cooler Master ATCS 840
    128GB OCZ Vertex
    1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
    6 GB DDR3 1600
    Dell 2408 wfp

This all look alright to everyone? As you can see, it's largely based around the high end suggested build on bit-tech for August. I'm just a little uncertain on what I want to do with a few parts.

Is this still the way to go for PSU?

I'm looking at this for RAM

I'm still unsure about CPU cooler. Bit-tech is recommending this, but I wouldn't mind spending a bit less, either.

Edit: Will any old thermal paste do? I'll probably pick up some cheap arctic cooler stuff

Any suggestions on the parts I'm still questioning would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping I can order parts tonight, as I leave for college on the twentieth. Thanks again.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2009
  2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

there is no aug version yet im looking forward to reading it myself, the latest version is July, july shipped online on the 8th so it maybe only a few days untill you get to read a proper update from the pros..

Just a question but why not buy a cheap 4770 to tie you over untill the new generation of gpus (dirrect x 11) are out in late sep? Oct.

You could then sell on the 4770 and only make a small loss, I mean I think bigger items make a larger loss in value, if you buy a 100 card you might get 65 or 70 (on ebay) but if you buy a 250 card you might make 170 esp if the dx11 cards are out, thats 30 loss vs 50 or 80£

Thats some computer thou, are you going to be folding?

Edit: That case is really nice but at that price you could buy the Corsair 800d which is being listed as available from the 9th of Aug at scan..

Now thats case to consider, im getting one Ive got the money ready and waiting its driving me nuts I just want it here now.

If the ATCS 840 was £125 fair enough but its not its a full £200 so you can be as picky as you like.

What are you currently undecided about or double taking on, the GPU?

Why dont you get the corsair H50 cooler, thats just a fantastic bit of bit for only £50.

3. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Corsair fanboy much? :p

Seriously though, while the 800D looks quite nice it's hardly the be all and end all of computer cases, and at that price I'd still rather have the ATCS 840, TJ-07 or any similarly priced Lian-Li. They look just as good if not better than the 800D IMO, are all made by manufacturers with an excellent reputation and case building pedigree, and most importantly have all received glowing reviews, whereas the 800D hasn't, so is more of an unknown.

4. K-Biscuit

Yeah, I meant the July article. I suppose I can wait until Monday to order, but that'll be the latest. By the way, I'm in the US, so prices are different. The cm case is only $200. When are these new graphics cards coming out? I honestly know little about this. Can I get someone link me to some info? Going with a cheap card for a couple of months might be a good idea...Opinions on this? Thanks again

5. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

6. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

You could just as easily get the standard NH-U12P for much less - same heatsink, just minus the second fan (cooling performance difference is minimal, and you can always pick up another fan later if you want it). You can get some extra thermal grease if you want, but the stuff that comes with the Noctua seems to do quite well in its own right in the reviews I've read...

RAM looks good. I was going to recommend a similar Mushkin kit, but it seems they've jacked up the price on that one a bit since I last looked. Still wouldn't be a bad choice for sheer reliability, though - Mushkin is about the best brand on earth in that area IMHO.

PSU... well, the best choices in the 850W arena are undoubtedly the Corsair 850HX and the Enermax Revolution, but I'm actually going to recommend you save a bit of money and spring for the Corsair 750HX instead (Enermax doesn't make a Revolution under 850W). You won't be hitting anywhere near 850W with your configuration anyway, so you might as well save some money.

Case - You don't need an ATCS 840. Unless you're totally sold on the look, be aware that the thing is a monster. Especially since this will be going into a college setting (where space usually tends to be very restricted), I wouldn't bother with any full-tower case if I were you. If raw cooling is your only concern, maybe pick up an Antec 902 or a Cooler Master HAF 922 - otherwise, shoot for something that strikes a good balance between cooling and design, like the Antec P183 or the Lian-Li PC-60FWB.

Now, the GPU question... here's the deal. Microsoft is releasing DirectX 11 alongside Windows 7 come October, and there are a few hardware capabilities that current cards lack (specifically, a certain type of tessellation ability) that will keep them from being able to display graphics in DX11. So, come somewhere around October, since it was about time for a new round of cards to be released anyway, both ATI and nVidia will be releasing at least a sample of their new lines of graphics cards - probably (hopefully) more powerful than the last, all DX11-capable. Hence why some people suggest you buy a cheaper card to tide yourself over until those cards hit the market.

My personal suggestion would be to get a single 4870 or 4890 (or GTX 275 if you use it to fold), then wait to see how the benchmarks on the newer cards turn out. If you do things that way:

1) You're not crippling your rig quite so much in the time period between now and the release of the HD 5000-series and GTX 300-series,
    2) If you want to spring for the newer cards when they come out, you'll still have a fair deal of money with which to do so,
    3) If you don't want to spring for the newer cards, you can simply pick up a second of whatever card you bought before.

Given that Sapphire's Toxic 4890 seems to be perennially out of stock, I would personally recommend picking up a single Sapphire Toxic 4870. It's a cheap, powerful card paired with what is very arguably the best GPU air cooler on the market (phenomenal cooling power, and silence on a level that would mesh well with a Noctua). If you want another one later, go buy another one later - it'll be just as cheap, if not potentially more so, and you'll still have one of the top five dual-GPU setups (currently) on the market.

- Diosjenin -

7. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'd say stick with that PSU, the seasonic is well recommended by every review I've seen and it's extremely quiet according to anandtech (20dBA max at 600w at 25C)

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

August buyers guide is up next tues

9. K-Biscuit

How about this Saturday...I will be your best friend! How has Newegg been lately? I move out the morning of the 20th, so I need to get the parts here before then and I can't spring for priority shipping. I really want to be able to see the guide, but that's gonna be really close...

Thanks for the extended reply, dios.

I really feel like 750 might be cutting it close, especially as I want to look into a bit of overclocking. Better safe than sorry, I suppose, especially considering that I don't know how power-hungry my new cards are going to be.

I am going to get a somewhat lesser single card setup and then upgrade in the Fall. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

As far as the case, I do really like the CM one, but I've also always liked the p182. Is the p183 just a slightly tweaked version? I'm kind of worried that a dual card set up might get really hot in there, but if people do it, maybe I'll save the money. It's a $50 difference. I really don't think the size is going to be too big of an issue, though. Maybe this is just ignorant, but I can't see myself using the space that the computer would occupy.

10. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Those 2 cards will indeed get real hot.
    You could opt for same or better performance with less power draw and less heat and noise by getting 2x GTX 275's

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

2x HD4890 Vapor-X Seems decent too.

12. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

Make sure your Dell2408 is rev A01 bcuz they fixed some issues the previous version had. Lag was way higher for isntance, and there was greenish and pink tinting at corners.

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Isn't the AO1 version a PVA panel?

14. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Might just want to spring for an HP LP2475W instead...

15. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Read some pretty good things 'bout the LG W2442PA-BF lately...

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

If the launch of DX11 is going to be anything like that of DX10, and let's face it there's no reason for it to not be like that, i wouldn't jump on that one so early.

For one, first generation DX11 cards will probably not be good enough to handle the few DX11 techdemo-like games that will be coming out in the first year.

For two, DX11 games will take a good while to come out. So by the time DX11 sees some actual use other than bragging rights, there will probably be some more capable and affordable hardware out there.

And besides, as far as i know DX11 will be backwards-compatible unlike DX10 so if you get a high-end card now you might be able to get some of the new shiny effects.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2009
  17. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

Yes, they all are PVAs though...the rev A01 fixed some issues though.

If you have enough dough, i.e $200 more, the HP LP2475 is better choice of course. Pay for what u get.