1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LastPass user panic over possible server breach

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 9 May 2011.

1. radziecki

radziecki What's a Dremel?

ok what we have here in Poland in couple of banks is so-called "virtual card", issued by Visa or Mastercard. It works only online, it doesn't have a magnetic strip, or even CCV code imprinted - you get it in an envelope. To use it, you have to make a transfer to a sub-account associated with it. It's not Visa Electron or Matestro - it's a "full" Visa, accepted everywhere - at least I didn't have any trouble with it...

2. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Those.

I have passwords written down and I type them in manually each time I need them. Sites I use regularly I learn to remember the password over time, sites I use infrequently I look up. Seriously, how much of a chore is it to type out a (usually) 8-14 character password?

Also, all those people who refuse to pay by credit cards, I understand the point, but if you're in the UK then you're missing out on your Section 75 protection. (This is not the same thing as PPI by the way).

Section 75 is a law which states that the credit card provider is jointly liable with the seller for delivery of goods between £100 - £30,000, so if you pay for something which then doesn't arrive, (the business goes belly up for example) you can claim all your money back from your credit card company.

Pretty useful if you're ordering a £2,000 PC...

And that's without the fact that most banks rarely hold the customer liable for fraud when they can prove it wasn't them who was responsible, and that many banks and credit cards offer special online protection and guarantees anyway.

In many circumstances, most British people are better off using credit cards online than not using them.

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I'm not worried at all

4. alf-

alf- Minimodder

i use a password manager for sites that don't really matter, and by that i mean sites that don't contain any information i really care about (credit information etc).

i'm more than willing to risk using a password manager for sites like facebook, as it they do not contain important information.

as internet banking and paypal, that's a different story, much stronger passwords which i only store on paper in my house.

5. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

It's not that hard to memorise 12+ character passwords.. I work in network admin, and every server, device and admin account has a different 14-16 character password w/ alpha, numerical and symbol characters.
    I remember a good 20 of them just out of habit, and that's before you count my personal passwords which are 100% random chars.
    You don't need to use your dogs name + DoB to be able to memorise passwords... Sheesh.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

+2

I use the same password for sites I don't really care if they get hacked, forums.... but I use keepass for sites I do care about, online stores, banking......

7. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I use LastPass with a very strong master password, I've changed anyway..

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Portugal has a global top-up system for all banks called MBNet, it generates a temporary visa with the value you decide, never putting your real card at risk.

Tags: Add Tags