1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Latest Flash Player streams HD video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Dec 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. quack

quack Minimodder

Just updated my player.

With Flash being used pretty much everywhere these days to easily distribute video, the new codecs are a fantastic addition. If only Apple could dump their terrible QuickTime format on their movie trailer site and just use this instead!

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Lower cpu use is a bonus, depending on how effective it is i might even remove flash blocker.

4. Bionic-Blob

Bionic-Blob What's a Dremel?

bah, include divx/xvid i say

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Better "invent" a codec that can do HD with less bytes to stream aka Jan Sloot

And i never got the HD quicktime trailers running on all my machines. But then again, it could be that my 'quicktime alternative' is doing weird stuff with HD

6. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Finally!

7. iwod

iwod What's a Dremel?

@ Bionic

What?? You do know H.264 is like so much better then Xvid right?

8. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a great update. My connection is only 1.5MB though. HD content would probably make it cry.

9. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Nice addition, although I still think Silverlight is a superior option to Flash. It's just about making it catch on really.

<A88>

10. Bionic-Blob

Bionic-Blob What's a Dremel?

so it is, i was confused due to quicktime never streaming fast enough for the video to play, whereas stage6 is perfect, even on the highest quality videos

11. Dev25

Dev25 What's a Dremel?

Nice addition to Flash Player

12. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

Even the 720p ones have some performance issues on my 2.8GHz P4. Oh well, MPEG2 1080i still plays just fine :)

13. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

Er, what format are you talking about? QuickTime is a container format, and AFAIK Apple uses H.264 inside the container for the HD trailers. Or did you mean they should use Flash to embed the movie rather than QuickTime? I'd agree with that for certain.

14. quack

quack Minimodder

That is what I meant. :)

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Nowhere near superior. Flash is cross platform.

16. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

And the only missing OS for Silverlight is Linux, which is under development anyway. Agreed, it's still in infancy, but from what I've seen it's more capable and much nicer to code for.

<A88>

17. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I have to admit, it's a nice feature. Bandwidth is nowhere near abundant enough for it to gain a lot of acceptance, though - I'd much rather download a file and watch it when it's done than have to pause the player and wait for it to finish loading.

Performance when playing HD trailers is about the same as playing same-resolution trailers from Apple Trailers in Media Player Classic, which is remarkable considering how difficult HD is. Using MPC, my system (2.2 GHz Sempron, 7600gs) can completely handle 720 and can almost handle 1080, but it spends a lot of time at 100% CPU and drops quite a few frames in fast-paced portions. On the Flash trailers, 720 runs about the same (~50% CPU). I haven't tried 1080 yet because my internet connection just isn't up to the task tonight.

EDIT: The proper full-screen function is very nice, but the scaling it uses is terrible. I mean, it's probably good for low CPU usage, but it really doesn't look good. And considering that my computer can almost handle the videos, and it's nigh impossible to buy a new computer which is slower than mine, it seems like they should have used a bit better scaling.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2007
Tags: Add Tags