1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding LCD Monitor Mod - structural support questions

Discussion in 'Modding' started by eaglestrike7339, 26 Jun 2008.

1. eaglestrike7339

eaglestrike7339 What's a Dremel?

Ok, well, first post. Been hangin' out for a while looking around, but finnally I wanna try something for myself.
    I have an old 15.1in LCD monitor, back from the days where beige was cool, that was collecting dust in the corner. Then i thought about using it as a second monitor for my laptop, but realized the beige would have to go.

And, so from humble beginnings this thread begins. I first read up on the TransTFT Monitor Mod, which looked very good, and got to work taking apart my own monitor. its an old Daewoo, that came as part of the Beige Solution (c) from Powerspec :)D:D) years ago.

However, i quickly encountered problems. Disassembly was easy, but the base (unlike the TransTFT) did not have interior metal supports.

And this is where I stand now (and have stood for a few months now, since I had my last case of the modding bug), and I intend to take action.

So, as i stand now, i want to put a plane of plexi over the LCD (as per Transtft), spray paint chasis black (as per TransTFT), and if possible (prolly not, but would be awesome) add capacitive touch controls for turning it on and off (as per Dell Crystal, and via QT110?or is the switch type wrong?)

I know this is very ambitious for a first time modder, and if it all doesn't get done, or breaks, I have no problem with it.

Pics later, once imageshack starts cooperating

I need to design some sort of support system for the monitor, to suspend it.....above the ground? Ideas? I am a newb to all sorts of modding, so go easy if you can, but if you have any ideas at all please post

Thanks to all,
    eagle