A/V LCD TV help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djDEATH, 1 Dec 2008.

1. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

Hi All

Now i know this isn't purely a PC or gaming question, but it does tie up, bear with me...

I'm in the market for a new telly. I've held off so far, cos i didn't want to spend £700, but i have began to see some 37" 1080p TV's for around the £500 mark, and i think that once christmas is out the way, it will be time to fork out and bring myself up to date. Its going to sit at the back of my desk, and primarily be used obviously for watching telly and movies, but i will also use it for gaming, and so could do with good response times and all the same requirements we have for PCs.

Now, my main question is, what is the tech behind LCD TVs? is it largely the same as LCD monitors? I have an SIPS panel for my PC, and its just fabulous, and i really don't want to spend £500 for something that i wopn't enjoy, so is there a way of finding out what tech is in each panel, anythign specific to look out for, or better still, any particular brands that are any good, or do they all use the same panels like in LCD monitors (samsung, toshiba etc)

any help greatly appreciated.

for reference, this is the one i'm looking at...

http://www.electrical-deals.co.uk/eil/88888/mil/d/lg+37lg5000+37+lcd+with+freeview/pid/8493212