1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays LCD TV, or LCD MONITOR FOR TV VIEWING?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gar, 28 Nov 2007.

1. gar

gar Minimodder

As in the title, I am building a htpc setup, but I don't want a big tv. I want to keep things at about 20 inches. Whats it like viewing tv on a freecom freeview stick on the pc? Would I be better buying the 20 in tv? I am wanting to save a bit of money and I'm assuming it will be cheaper to go with the monitor and I would have better resolution, but is pc tv viewing reliable and enjoyable on a daily basis?

All advice would be very much appreciated!

Gareth

2. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

If you want to keep the size down that low. Get a PC monitor.
    I watch sdtv, and hd movies on my 24inch. I don't consider it being less enjoyable then an actual tv.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The hybrid monitors with built-in tuner & sound have a bit of a reputation for poor quality sound (compared to a proper telly), but with a plain monitor that won't come into it. One thing you may find is that a telly has a wider 'good' viewing angle than a monitor, important if two or more people are watching - ignore the degree numbers quoted, judge for yourself. ;)

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

5. gar

gar Minimodder

Thanks, I think I'm leaning towards the idea of a monitor instead of the tv. What is sdtv?

6. gar

gar Minimodder

Thanks, CpemmaI think you're exactly right. Most of them seem to be analouge tuners too! Thats not going to be useful in a sort time. With the monitor I'd really be the only one watching as it's be in my bedroom. I bought a lcd samsung last year, sold that then bought a projector. I don't know what I was thinking of, I don't really watch movies!

7. gar

gar Minimodder

Yea, thats certainly a super monitor, but I don't think I could be bothered spending allot of money and I think a 20 in would wall mount nicely in the corner of my bedroom. My paycheques arent streching that far these days. I'm sure the Dells will be snapped up though! Thanks for the link though!

Tags: