1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V LCD TV Resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chiggyman, 28 Nov 2005.

1. chiggyman

chiggyman Banned

Hey, I have had a Goodmans LD2001 LCD TV for quite some time, its hooked up via a VGA cable as a second monitor on my pc, (Goes into the DVI port using a converter) and for quite some time i've had it running in 640x480 (Yeah poor res i know) but i thought thats all it could run at. Whenever i put it higher into 800x600 or whatever it would work but it wouldnt be like 'zoomed in' and whenever i moved my mouse to the edge of the screen it would scroll, a lot like the view system on a Command & Conquer game. Now i know the screen isn't capable of doing that scrolling because when i move my mouse to edge of the screen to move the pointer onto my first monitor, its scrolls to the edge before letting my mouse cursor jump to the other screen. After looking through my instruction manual i know the monitor can run at 720x400 and 800x600 no problem but it just wont seem to do it. I've messed around in ultramon and powerstrip but i'm getting nowhere and searching for advice on this round the web is impossible. Any help would be majorly appreciated. Jay

2. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick What's a Dremel?

this is because windows thinks that the monitor can't handle the resolution you're throwing at it, so it sends out the 640x480 signal (even when you have it set to 600x800) and it lets you scroll around instead.... useless? of course.

I'm not sure what the solution necessarily is, but it may have to do with what kind of hardware the computer is recognizing the DVI adapter as (what it "thinks" it is capable of)

Depending on your video drivers, you may be able to force it to output the real signal, but thats a fuzzy area, and I'm just offering up what I can

3. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

AFAIK, ATI and Nvidia software can overide windows built in detection of resolutions, have a fiddle in there