1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Least noisy GTX460 (and ? about Physx)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Andersen, 1 Oct 2010.

1. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Current GFX card (9800GTX OC) has started to scream under load, time to replace it. I'm looking at GTX460 1GB but which model is the quietest out there? Budget is around 200 euros but not written in stone.

PSU is Seasonic S12 650W and UPS supplies 600W max. Power department should be fine as comp itself, one 24" display and ADSL box use 300W total when playing a game.

Also I'm planning on leaving the old card in (just for kicks) to handle PhysX for Metro 2033 and UT3. Plop new card in, swap cables, update driver, tick a box and enable PhysX in said games?

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

3. Reddoguk

Reddoguk I Play WoW :(

4. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

My Asus model is pretty quiet, even when OC'd.

5. Sanzy

Sanzy Minimodder

Yeh i can support this , its pretty quite and not so loud you want to cut your ears off.

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

the zotac 1gb is quiet as it gets stock, 20% default idle.. you can flash in the fan speeds on other cards though, they have bios mods on xtreme systems forum

thing with the zotac is.. they didn't bother to put thermal pads on the memory and the tim job was top quality crap.. if you don't mind taking the card apart and fixing these things

I got it because you get a display port.. it blocks the exhaust a bit but at 50% fan it's around 60C load in games at 870 overclocked.. at idle 20% fan 42C.. managed to get the memory to a whooping 2220 before getting artifacts pushing it stock

but that's all on the re-tim I had to do.. stock I'm sure it's the crappiest card out there- part of the chip didn't even have tim on it, I should have taken a picture it was really bad.. and with no memory pads I don't see it ocing at all :D

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB is excellent, although the MSI Hawk looks like a decent contender! Not sure your UPS would be up to the job of supporting those 2 graphics cards however! A single GTX 460 should be fine however.

8. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

If its GV-N460OC-1GI, well I ordered one. Just have to wait a my usual retailer is out of stock.

I should be good as highest usage I've seen is 300W. Googling says that a non-OCed GTX460 eats about 150 watts. Should be enough.