1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Left4Dead system specs released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Sep 2008.

1. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Joe, has there been any mention from Valve as to whether this will carry a new version of the source engine?

All source games that I've tried (except CS:S, oddly...) have maxed a single core without touching the rest. There are various console command that can be used to shift processes around, but they invariably end in instability.

I'd really like L4D to maybe split AI, physics and particles into seperate threads.

2. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

The OB engine is basically just a tweaked version of the original source engine (afaik), however it does allow some improved particle effects and higher quality textures, i believe. Multi-threading was supported on the XBOX 360 using the mat_queue mode command (amongst others) , which is present in TF2 and other OB games, however enabling it can cause some instability problems. The good thing is, they are constantly looking to improve the engine, and any games using it generally benefit from any updates to the engine itself (which is why it is inevitable that CSS will end up on it, as it doesn't make sense to maintain and update 2 different versions of the same engine).

3. Vergil_117

Vergil_117 What's a Dremel?

4. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Orange Box games have some dual core tweaks, but the Source engine has always been primarily single threaded.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

the way i understand it is you can spawn as the vomiting zombie or one of its two friends but you can't play the minions.

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Afcourse the 939 lives on, don't believe the hype of Quad core modern processors. I have a 939 4800+ processor and until now it handles every 'new' game, with high settings and high resolution, i can throw at it. must say it also has one 8800GT video card but that is not top of the line either. So all the overhyped quadcores and SLI configs and extreme motherboards are a bunch op bs to me.

Take for example the new Gigabyte motherboards with 2oz ground coper layers. Lots of marketing with 0% advantage.

7. TOO S0BER

TOO S0BER What's a Dremel?

Well, I dunno about the graphics (my computer sucks) and I didn't look at requirements. But that's because I plan on buying L4D for the Xbox 360, that way I don't have to worry about CPU requirements ^.^

8. Dominatorbuster

Dominatorbuster What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 11 Oct 2010
  9. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

They will probably bop out ep 3, then do a new engine for HL3, might be dx12 or 13 by the time Valve get round to it though >_<

10. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

exactly, poke the specs. and lets play it :D

11. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

well, that game I was playing last weekend tasted like a meatball sub, but the one I was playing the other day tasted like bacon.
    yeah, using high definition videos to analize how good a video games graphics graphics is a complete waste of time and the wrong way to do it. you need to lick the game disc and take a syringe and inject it into your wrist to get a feel for what the game graphics will actually be like.
    /facepalm
    besides, I have HAVE played source games first hand. do you have a 10 second attention span or did you completely miss the part where I said I had played them? what I was getting at was I didn't know how customizable the engine is, graphics wise. you know, the engine. that thing that compiles the graphics. yes that. I'm not a graphics engineer so I don't know how customizable the engine is, in regards to graphic updates and whatnot.
    FFS

Tags: Add Tags