1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lenovo Slice Project - CNC, powdercoating and laptop parts

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by aussiepete, 8 Dec 2010.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'll just do it ComputerKing style:

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

aussiepete likes this.
  2. aussiepete

aussiepete needs more Tanqueray

And it all comes together

That amazing feeling when everything... just... fits. No dremels, no tape, it just fits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dealing with tiny laser cut acrylic letters:

[​IMG]

Which are epoxied onto another sheet of cut and painted acrylic that will serve as the dielectric for the front panel capacitive on/off sensor switch:

[​IMG]

3. perplekks45

Love it. Fact.

4. aussiepete

And presenting....

Preliminary finished shots:

[​IMG]

The joint where the front face/LCD meets the rest of the casing. Invisible from more than 6 inches away:

[​IMG]

The gray strip is a momentary-on capacitive touch sensor that starts/reboots/shuts down the PC:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The damn laser cutter did the letters of the Lenovo logo wrong the first time, so waiting on that final piece. Still looks pretty good even without the letters I think:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mmmm, I like this shot. Note the 6 M2.5 hex fasteners that hold the entire casing together and are the only exposed fasteners on the whole project:

[​IMG]

Closeup of top edge with slot for Blu Ray drive. I need a new damn camera, poor thing is having trouble focusing after 19 countries and almost 20,000 shots :(

[​IMG]

If anybody would like to see full res images, I'll post them on my blog (see signature) later this weekend. I think I'll also do a set of shots with classic Apple-style white backgrounds and much brighter lighting. I should probably also do a few shots with it on to prove the thing works!

5. perplekks45

YES YES YES!!! MOAR PIKSHEEEEEEEERRRSSSS!!!!!

Also... why are the last 2 letters of "ideapad" not bold like the rest? Did I miss the explanation or just random? Would've made perfect sense to have "pad" in a normal font but just the last 2... Maybe I just don't get it. ;)

6. aussiepete

That's a good question perplekks45, and it bothers me too. The Ideapad logo, as provided in EPS by Lenovo, reads IDEApad - as in, the "idea" is in a slightly heavier font than the "pad". So basically it's just the "p" that is incorrect. My guesses would be:

something in the EPS>Rhino>Illustrator>Proprietary laser format process got messed up (likely)

the laser technician got lazy and simply cut the "d" twice (quite possible)

Hopefully I'll have time to correct it before the whole thing ships for display at CES (yay!)

7. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

:rock: man, fantastic job !!

I thought that you had to make the concept presented in the first part of the challenge.

P.s. I fall in love with your Workshop :blush:

Last edited: 19 Dec 2010
  8. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

Now that is nice!

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Flippen yummy! The black background has to go, though. I want to see the whole thing.