1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice LGA 1156 which CPU cooler?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BarryBear, 16 Oct 2010.

1. BarryBear

BarryBear What's a Dremel?

Finally decided to upgrade from my e6600 after 4 years and will be buying a i5 760, Asus P7P55D-E. Only problem is the cpu cooler and after reading through many reviews im stuck on what to get.

So far I have decided im not going over the £40 mark which obviously limits me.
    Come up with these so far;

Thermaltake CL-P0564 Frio
    Titan Fenrir EVO
    Zalman CNPS10X Flex
    Gelid Tranquillo

I have a few spare 120mm fans about so if I wouldn't need to add that cost into it.
    The Fenrir seems to be the best bang for buck item but just wondering what others think before i make a decision Monday morning

2. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

I would go with the Fenrir.

3. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Might be a silly question but will you be overclocking? Cooler choice might be irrelevant if not.

I likes the Gelid Tranquillo from that list

4. Siberdine

Siberdine Safety Not Guaranteed.

What's more important to you? Good money for value (cooling wise), a silent cooler, or hands down the best HSF you can find?

If silence and saving some money is more important, get the Gelid Tranquillo. If you want better cooling get the Titan Fenrir (Don't get the EVO, it costs £6 more for a different paint job and a slightly better fan).

The Thermaltake Frio is £35, and it wouldn't make much sense to spend that much money on an i5 rig anyways.

5. BarryBear

sorry yes I will be overclocking to 4Ghz + if I can.
    Silence isnt an issue really, but value for money and some decent temps are quite important to me.

Seems the Titan Fenrir is the way to go for what I need just need to find a place with any variance in stock then CCL seem to have the evo in stock and the normal I think just wasnt sure if it came with the 1156 mounting kit as it wasnt in the descrition so if anyone can confirm it does that would be great.

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=33540&tid=gsearch - normal
    http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=55176&tid=gsearch - evo

You say slightly better fan but for the £3 difference would this be worth getting anyways?

6. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

I'd suggest getting the normal Fenrir unless you really like the looks of the Evo.

Then if you find it to be too noisy for your liking you could always replace the fan with a better one such as the Scythe Gentle Typhoons. Should still be a total cost of around £40 after that.

7. BarryBear

From what you have said the Fenrir is the way to go.
    Only issue is the version 1 of the fenrir does not state it can fit the 1156 so that looks to me as its not packed with the right mounting kit so I don't want to take the risk for the sake or £3.
    Also just checked Scan and they have another version "special edition" which is £5 less than the evo but there is the occasion where i like to turn all fans onto 25% for a film, so for the sake of £5 im just going for the evo. what it looks like isn't that big of an issue as I am using a closed case so i wont get to see it anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2010
  8. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  9. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 is still a good all-round budget option.

10. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

If you want space on the board go for Corsair H50

11. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

I think that would blow the £40 budget, and not get any better results, compared to the air coolers suggested.
    From the reviews i have seen the H70 is the only "cheap" water-cooler worth having.