1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Lian Li Rivet Size

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tok3n, 21 Jan 2004.

1. tok3n

tok3n What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know the size of the rivets on Lian Li cases? I need to the case top. What size drill bit should I use to drill through them?

2. instant rice

instant rice What's a Dremel?

a rivet will have a ball on one side and a hole on the other. drill from the hole side and you want the bit to be bigger than the hole, but smaller than the outer diameter. of course it probably doesn't matter too much how big you go, all you need to do is seperate the rivet into two parts and it pops right out.

3. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

You don't need to drill through the rivet at all, just separate the head from the body.
    I use a 1/4" bit that I reground to have a very shallow rake angle. Alternatively, you could use a larger bit, but you'd have to be more careful.
    Center the bit in the hole and slowly spin up the drill till the rivet head pops off the body and viola!, you're done.

The problem with trying to drill through the rivet is once you hit the steel "nail" that compresses the rivet during installation, the drill bit will seek the path of least resistance and tend to wander crookedly. This will wallow out your mounting hole and present problems when you go to rerivet the piece back on.

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I drilled out the rivets that held the bottom drive cage inplace a few days ago. I think it was a 3mm drill bit and went through no probs at all. :)

5. tok3n

tok3n What's a Dremel?

I think the rivets are 3mm x 3mm?

6. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

I went a bit mad when taking the rivets out of the window panel, and I've burnt the surrounding metal... so word of warning, go slow.

:waah: the burn marks look horrible