1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Light for my bike !!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by cheazypeaz, 21 Jan 2005.

1. cheazypeaz

cheazypeaz What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys...

I have been contemplating on building a custom light for the rear of my motorbike, simply because indicators stick out and look silly, the current light i have is an aftermarket part and i dont like it that much.

Anyway my proposotion is very simple, i would have 13 LED's in a row soldered to a PCB (custom made) with a resistor for each acting as my light.

the two at each end (in total 4) would be my indicators.
    the 9 red led's (which would all be red unlike the diagram) would be split:
    * the first 5 (shown in bright red) would be my standard rear light
    * the other 4 (imbetween in brown) would be my brake light

Pretty simple everything runs on a 12 volt system so i need to simply drop down the voltages i think to the correct ones for the resistors (which i have found both resistors and the LED's i need on THIS website.

Basicly what i am asking is my pcb a sensible idea, where could it be improved and is it going to be easy to make ?

[​IMG]

RED: Main Light +12
    GREEN: Brake Light +12
    YELLOW/GREEN: GND
    PINK & BLUE: TURN SIGNALS +12

Resistors marked in blue

Many thanks guys !

2. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Looking at your diagram it looks like you haven't actually connected power to the "brake" LEDS (brown) but I can work out what you were intending easy enough.

Simple enough design and easy enough to do. My only concerns are that your indicators could be too close to the central light to be unambiguous as to your intentions as to which direction you would be turning (there is a reason that indicators are usually on stalks away from the bike) and that any new lighting arangment you come up with may need to be certified by an engineer as to it's effectivenes (depending upon the local regulations in your area).

I would consult with an engineer regardless as they can give you pointers as to the best way to make it visible etc.

EDIT: Failure to get engineer cirtification (depending on where you live) may cause any insurances you have to be denied by your insuring company should you have an accident. Not a good idea IMO.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2005
  3. cheazypeaz

ok thanks for your advice

the space this needs to cover is aroind 14cm, i have not measures yet im going to ask the lads at college today if they can help me out :)

4. cheazypeaz

5. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

two leds for an indicator light. Thats a bit lacking, really.

Note that if they are super bright ones, they will BLIND people. Its better to have many less bright, than two uber bright.

Iirc with cars you are suppost to inform your insurers of any modifications (not sure how small the mods need to be, but im definatly sure tis one is big enough) you make to a road vehicle in the UK, but maybe not in other countrys.
    Failure to inform them will make your insurance void.. so dont have any accidents.

Now in my opinion, if your only using two leds for each indicator, then I do NOT want to be on the same road as you.

6. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Consider using luxeons (probably want to dim them a bit) because of their insane viewing angle. You'd only need three or four.