1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress "Like a Glove"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BennieboyUK, 8 Feb 2015.

1. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Hey Guys,

Thought it might be fun to share with you a build that I have just completed. I have named it "LLLLLike a glove"

Why have I done this? A few reasons; wanting to try and squeeze as much power into as smaller space as possible - something I have needed to do my whole life!... But the more serious reason I have a whole room, like many folks here, that is dedicated to me and my stuff - some may even call it a man cave.

The problem with this is that I spent way too much time 1. working 2. then playing once I have finished working and I also now travel a huge amount (150k miles on a plan in 8 months). Therefore the wife - yes she is amazing and a genius - challenged me to move some of the kit down stairs, into the more sociable part of the house.

Challenge accepted, the planning phase started. It is a real shame that I did not think to take any photos or log the build of the small desk.

So anyway here a very short build log, with the mod to the FT03 Mini to fit the 980GTX in...

Spec:
    CPU: Intel i7 4790k
    Cooler: Corsair H60 (Slim Rad) with MX-4
    Memory: Corsair Ven Pro 8gb 1866mhz
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG VII IMPACT itx
    PSU: Silverstones 600watt 80 plus gold SFX fully modular PSU (This thing defies logic)
    Drive: Samsung EVO 250gb
    Graphics: MSI GeForce 980gtx OverClocked - importantly with the reference blower.
    Case: Silverstone FT03 Mini

So the case can house a 10 inch card, but sadly the 980 is 10.5 inches. After reading, watching and listening to all sides I steered away from the 970, which you can get on a 9.5inch PCB.

So the challenge was to then fit a 980 into the Silvestone Mini, So no sooner had I unpacked her she got measured up for a good old hack-n-slash.

Its been a good long while since I took the dremel out to a case, but the results are functional. I know it doesn't seem like a huge amount of planning when into the build, but I did quite a lot of research into the case and card prior to this, so I kinda knew what I was getting into before I started.

I will let the photos do the talking - I don't think I need to explain to the majority how I build the rig - I was ALOT fo fun working with such a tiny space, but I really enjoyed it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above photo is quite funny - the only box that wouldn't fit into the case box was the 980 box - Go figure.

[​IMG]

And Finally - the TINY space - which house this PC, my work laptop, Corasir K65 RGB, RAT 5 and a U2711. The Desk Measures 800mm x 600mm!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Feb 2015
  2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Nicely done mate :D :thumb:

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Nice work.

Having previously built the full-size FT03, my only criticism is that I would have used Silverstone's "short" cable kit to remove as much cable clutter as I could, together with short SATA cables where required.

4. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

It is a really good point; the SFX comes with those length cables, which certainly helped alot - although you could also halve the length of them again for the mini and it would have been fine.

The other area I was torn in was getting a M.2 Drive rather than the EVO - but this reduces the PCI-E x16 slot to x8 - Now I know this wouldnt kill performance too much, but with the added cost of the m.2 drive I played it safe with the EVO and the extra cables.

I might change to a M.2 in the future, maybe :)