News Lindows.com ordered to drop Lindows name

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dad, 12 Dec 2003.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

As a followup to this thread, InfoWord is reporting the following...

Judges in Finland and Sweden have given Microsoft Corp. what it has twice been denied in the U.S.: preliminary injunctions barring Linux vendor Lindows.com Inc. from using the Lindows name.

Microsoft sued Lindows.com in the U.S. in December 2001, accusing the company of infringing its Windows trademark and asking the court to bar Lindows.com from using the Lindows name. The company lost two requests for an injunction and the matter is now for a jury to decide in a trial set to start March 1, 2004.

European courts appear to be siding with Microsoft. The Redmond, Washington, company sought a preliminary injunction in Finland on Nov. 28 and it was granted on Dec. 1, company spokeswoman Stacy Drake said Thursday. In Sweden, Microsoft requested a preliminary injunction on Dec. 9 and got it on Dec. 10, she said.

More here...

What's next? Microsoft suing Pella or Anderson for having "Windows" in their name!?

(Pella and Anderson are companies that make house windows here in the US)

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

And there's more of that here ;)

3. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Hate it when that happens :grr:

4. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

as much as i like microsoft and try to defend them, this is absolutly stupid. i could maybe see if it were called "linux-windows" or something, but the names are different so they should have no case.

5. white modder

white modder What's a Dremel?

6. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

7. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

That's the best idea I've heard in a long while.

8. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

mac is like a non powerd scooter - nothing to see no controls
    windows - is like a car with the hood welded shut its nice but you cant really alter to much
    linux - is fully inerchangable and you have full control

linux rules

9. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Mac will get you from point a to point b though, and it's darn reliable to beat. Sure it's slow as I'll get out, but it does get there ;)

Windows, yes, it is prety locked down, but not as much as the macs. I'd liken it to a Honda Civic. Yes, you can rice it and make it look prety and perhaps even make it prefrom a bit better (without being able to replace the engine, which you can do in a civic, but that isn't my point). It will sure get you from point a to point b, prety quickly, but every once in a while the engine has a problem, so you have to ditch the entire car and get another :(

Linux is like the Space shuttle. Is it powerful? Heck yeah. Can it get you from my house to LA? Oh yes. Would I be able to walk up and use it without massive ammounts of prior training? Not without hell freezing over and pigs flying :p Just like the space shuttle, it requires a lot of knowledge to run and operate, but you can't beat it in preformance :p

I personaly think Microsoft is taking it a bit far, but that is their progitive. I don't think that Lindows threatens Windows in any shape or forum. It is more expencive, most software doesn't run on it, etc.

If it was like $40 a disk and there was no limit to how many personal machines you could install it, that would be more like it ;)

10. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

case and point yo_duh_87

you cought on to what im trying to say thanks i was in a rush that day i had 60 computers to fix

there is a lot of people that should go out and by a mac (is like i bicycle with training wheels) no they buy pc mess them up and ask me to fix them of corse i thank them because i charge them a fee but its stupid macs are almost idiot proof machines i think a lot of people that are beginers should get one instead of a pc
    it would save every body some time i love pc's but they are not for beginners

11. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

im scared of macs. they look nice. they have a nice price tag to go with them.

i hate the single button mouse.
    i love all the funky stuff that has been ported form the pc to them like firewire usb 1.1/2 the ipod.

but i cant do a simple thing on a mac like check my email. but i can do it in under 30 secconds on my pc. (takes 40 years at college)

12. Crazith

Crazith What's a Dremel?

first they are not all single button you can go out and get a 2 button mouse or use the one you have now even if it is a microsoft mouse. Second ported "from" pc? like the iPod????? sorry that is a mac first then came to windows.

and Microsoft should lose this case

13. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

don't hear me wrong now im not supporting windows in any way because windows is the most crappy piece of software you can put on a pc

14. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

i meant ported to the pc. i knew what i meant. i was tired when i wrote that.

Tags: Add Tags