1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Linksys gigabit switch problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by pksjaveed, 4 Feb 2009.

1. pksjaveed

pksjaveed Nmodz: modding the world

i just got a gigabit switch and when i connect it to my cat 6 from gigabit to pc i can barely load up google but when i have the wire straight from the router and i get a perfect connection!i replaced cat 6 but it still has the same issue! any help would be aprecciated because im not sure if its the gigabit or its the pc

2. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Sounds like it is the switch. Try replacing the switch with another one you might have or can borrow for a while. If it looks resolved then you know your culprit.

3. wsurritte

wsurritte What's a Dremel?

I agree, but you might check your auto negotiation settings. also, if the switch is managed (generally a serial port on the back) make sure that it's configured correctly.

4. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Depends on the switch, most the time only the large switches have the serial connection. If this is a personal switch then it wont have one on the back.

5. wsurritte

wsurritte What's a Dremel?

You are right, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

6. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Do you have jumbo frames enabled on your network adapter by any chance? Some gigabit switches are not compatible with this larger (usually ~7-9K) frame size. Quite often the effect of enabling it and connecting to a switch which doesn't fully support it can result in a crippled connection (presumably due to huge packet loss).

Another possibility (though admittedly, very unlikely) is that your cat 6 cable could be a problem. cat 6 cables (and sockets) are terminated ever so slightly differently to cat 5 cables and as such they not truly 100% compatible. It might be worth grabbing a cat 5 cable and giving it a go, before writing off the switch.

Having said that, at home I'm using a shielded, cat 6, 24 port, patch panel with a cat 5, gigabit switch, rigged up with cat 6 patch cables and I've had zero problems. So like I said, unlikely but worth a go before blaming the switch. :thumb: