1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Linksys WRT54G Good Connection But Drops speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JonDixon, 7 Mar 2006.

1. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

Ive moved into a new house and unfortunately my broadband connection is upstairs, but my PC is in the living room directly underneath.

I have been using my Linksys WRT54G router in 2 other houses over longer distances with no issues.

My signal strength was varying between good and excellent. When at good I was down to 1mbps at good between 11 and 24 and excellent at 36.

I thought it may be the standard antenna so have replaced them with the 7dba ones.

My signal strength is now only very good to excellent, yet at very good my speed is now 11mbps.

Currently I have the router sitting on top of a clothes basket against a wall. Would this be better located somewhere else? Is there anything else I can do to improve the speed?

Any help deeply appreciated as this is grinding my gears!

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

A lot of the time it depends on how your house is built and the materials used. Most older houses have really thick walls, and use stone, both of which absorb waves. So your signal may be poor. Routers can sacrifice range for speed and there should be an option in your router's utility for range or speed.

Secondly, make sure there are no electrical interference including major power junctions and appliances (I had a friend who put his router on top of his washing machine, and he wondered why the router wasn't working properly :duh:

Usually putting the antennas so that they face upwards is the best way to go, although you could try downwards!

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Also, make sure that the path between the router and wireless card/dongle isn't obstructed by a radiator or hot water tank. Walls are bad news enough but water kills signal strength.

4. JonDixon

Thanks for the info, I'll check the router page to see if I can change it for speed.

5. JonDixon

Well, I couldnt find anything to increase speed over range in the settings.

I will look at moving the router though, to see if that helps

6. mushky

mushky gimme snails

If you are directly below it then try putting both of the aerials horizontally. In my experience the strongest signals come from around the aerial, not above or below it, i.e. having the tip of the aerial pointing towards your other other device is bad.

7. JonDixon

Update,

Well I got a splitter on the cable going into the living room as I had in my original house so I have the tv box, and cable modem connected to the splitter.

Ive connected up the router and have the Linksys high gain antenna connected.

The router is now 2 meters away from the pc.

Guess what, Im surfing now on 11mbps with signal strength at excellent. Hopefully it will hold out till I finish this.

Will buying another router and upgrading to mimo help me?

I cant surf like this with the router cutting out every 30mins or so.

With the router and the pc being in the same room and no signal I just dont know what else to do.

I tried my work laptop right next to the router - no signal, but if I connect wired then its fine.

Is it possible somethings broke in the router?

Tags: