1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Linux of the month

Discussion in 'Software' started by riluve, 10 Nov 2004.

1. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

I haven't touched anything Linux since about '97 and I am looking to set a box up. So what's the skivvy on kernels/distributions these days? Anyone with experience on some of the following, please chime in and drop a dime on the subject:

Fedora/RedHat
    Gentoo
    Knoppix
    Stampede
    FreeBSD
    Mandrake
    Lycoris

A compare/contrast would be sweet. ;)

2. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

/me points up at the linux sub-forum.

personally i use mandrake - 10.0 on my lappy and 10.1 on my 2nd hdd on my gaming box. easy, kinda does what i want it to, and has cool built-in games.

so i only run linux for breakout, sue me.

3. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

4. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Running Mandrake 10.0 on my main machine at home, and a few servers at work. Never had the need for anything else, actually.

Sorry Sc0rian, I just formatted the Suse box to install Mandrake :p (actually it is because it was a testing server and our admin quit without giving us passwords for root)

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

gentoo, because portage is ****ing fantastic :D

6. Go4t

Go4t i

damn right it is

7. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

Most recently, I've been dealing with Gentoo, Knoppix, Fedora, and Suse. Aggreed with whoever said portage is awesome - it's the only reason I put up with the day long install on my home pc's. Knoppix, I've mostly only dealt with at work - we've got a custom Knoppix cd that has partimage and we use it to reload pc's from images on one of our servers. Fedora is alright, easy to install but that's all I can really say about it. Nothing else in Fedora really stands out to me. Suse is pretty nice and has the YaST installer.
    #yast2 install iftop
    and it does it's thing and installs much like portage(iftop is a cool package btw, has a graphical representation of trafic on network interfaces. We've been having fun with this one at work...)

Tags: