1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Linux software for LCD?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Coolrunnin, 6 Jul 2002.

1. Coolrunnin

Coolrunnin What's a Dremel?

I'm gettin my distro installed in a few days when I've got time to do the full build but I was just wondering about LCD software.

All I want to be able to do is see info like:
    Network performance
    CPU load / memory usage
    System temperatures etc.

I don't need anything fancy like weather or IRC or all that other stuff that LCDC does - I've never used anything other than the above :)

Does anybody here use a 20x4 serial interface LCD under linux? if so can you give me any advice about what software would enable me to display these stats.?

Cheers.

2. kong

kong cnc-guy

Software is easy, gettin' it to work is something else!
    Ok, firstly for your LCD, use lcdproc
    It sounds good, it has a good set of drivers, and is almost easy to install. But please don't tell me you have a cheapo parallel-on-serial backpack lcd, (like me :cries:) coz I just can't get it to work! Most others will work easy though.
    Secondly, for your temperatures, you will need lmsensors.
    This seemed tricky to install, depends on the mobo I guess, but I got there in the end. Unfortunately, to output the data onto the LCD you will have to search google for some sort of applet (of which there are a few), coz until i get my LCD working, I have no need for one.

3. Coolrunnin

Coolrunnin What's a Dremel?

Ooooh no cheap-ass LCDs for me :D

Me got a luuurvely 204-25pc from MO :D I hope that this should make it easier to hook up to lcdproc :) And thanks for puttin me onto lmsensors - I think that's actually all on the MO download page as far as I can remember (not far then :D )

It'll be a week or so now before I get a chance to play with Gentoo and sort everything out (need a new res for my w/cing system) but if and when I do I'll post the details of which applet I get to work. Might repay you a bit for all the advice you've given me ;)

Tags: