1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Liquorice, latest update 1/Jan/08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by nepheloco, 26 Dec 2007.

1. nepheloco

nepheloco What's a Dremel?

There isn`t a better way to start posting in these forums, than beginning with a project log. :p
    I have been wanting to work on my own case, eversince I first saw a real mod, some guy glued a skull to the front of his PC case, made it look like it was pushing his face throgh the case, cut a couple of windows to the sidepanel, added light blue plexi and painted the case silver fading black in the back. I wanted to see more and I searched the net, and then I saw Orac3, found this place...:eeek:

All things start with a sketch, from the head onto paper. I made this final one between lectures, I seem to get my best ideas while in school.

[​IMG]

• I forgot to take pictures in the beginning, but you can still see how it looked:

[​IMG]
    • I cut a square hole on top of the front panel, split a 32 mm PVC pipe, glued both halves on the edges, and covered the cap with a piece of plexi. I also covered the hole for the floppy and added some pieces to use less filler in the next step, and by that keeping the weight down, glued with two component epoxy, good old EPO2 around where I live:

[​IMG]
    • I raised the edges of the 5,25" outwards:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    • After the second layer of filler (I used two component filler, that smelled nice :D):

[​IMG]
    • It was sunny and reasonably warm (6-8C), so I worked outside for a day (everyone who has used car bondo and sanded indoors with only a window to ventilate knows that it isn`t good for your health, especcialy when it`s your bedroom :wallbash:, silly me, I´ll never to it again) :

[​IMG] [​IMG]

That`s all for now. I start modding again next year, because new year eve is coming and my exam session is in January, with the first being on 4th so I haven`t got much spare time in my hands.
    As the name suggests, the main color will be matte black. I was thinking to paint the frame also black, but glossy. I will keep the lightning to minimum, few low power LEDs to accent main areas inside, and perhaps some contours outside.

Until then happy holiday season! :hehe:

Last edited: 31 Dec 2007
  2. ZeroHerO

ZeroHerO What's a Dremel?

looking good so far, I'm really looking forward for your following updates :)

Happy newyear ZeroHerO

3. nepheloco

Update: 1st of January 2008

Got tired of studying and did few things with the case to clear my mind, relax. :p
    Bought a pair of pushbuttons and a pair of thumblers(?). Found a perfect place for the on-off switch, but the problem is that the top panel slides backwards, so I can`t actually put it there...

[​IMG]

Inside

[​IMG]

Cutting the window -

[​IMG]

Cut -

[​IMG]

Strips of plexi to rise the edges the same way as the 5,25" bay -

[​IMG]

Glued and drying -

[​IMG]

Closeup -

[​IMG]

Roughened the surface to give the glue something to hold on -

[​IMG]

Cured -

[​IMG]

Sanding inner corners and edges -

[​IMG]

Until the week after next week (is there a shorter way to say that?) it`s staying in the corner. :nono: School first...:geek:

[​IMG]

(feel free to correct my English, I encourage you to do so :thumb:)

4. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

your English is fine .
    looks like your off to a good start.
    I'm curious to see how the raised areas turn out.

5. rytmehunden

rytmehunden I love glory and fame

Well welcome Estonia!!! Winners of the European Music Competition year 2006!!! (im right am i not? :naughty: )

That mod looks promising when one takes a look at your sketches, im gonna follow this thread and see what you develop :)

And your english looks and sounds just fine... EXTREMELY fine for a "once-were-Russian" i would say.. Normally people are lucky to find an english speaking estonian, lithuanian or even a russian that speaks just 2 words of english.

BIG THUMBS UP to you :thumb:

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'm pretty sure Finland won Eurovision on 2006... Actually the band comes originally from Rovaniemi where I live ;)

The case is looking great, I already like the window, can't wait to see how that one turns out. And no need to be sorry for your english. Check caseking's messages when ever you feel sorry for yours :D

7. rytmehunden

rytmehunden I love glory and fame

Oh thats right. But correct me if im wrong.. they won it in 2004 pr 2005 then? I remember the finnish dudes dressed up like superfreaks LOL!!

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Naah they were normal looking finns, you should come and see the rest of us. Wikipedia says Estonia won back in 2001. Right millenium still ;)

9. nepheloco

"Soviet" would be correct...:rolleyes:
    And the "two words of English", well it`s the opposite, at least amongst the youth.:D

Tags: