1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding little led and 120v question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by r3Q, 30 Mar 2004.

1. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

sup guys its been a while, i been keeping up at work my new job with telephone stuff so i get to surfing the web all day.

ive been meaning to buy some LED from LSdiodes.com but i wanted to do somthing different with them. if i must, i have a bunch of old AT powersupplies lying around, but yea =p

[​IMG]

ive had this case for a while now and i wanna get it lit up. im bout to order some green 6500mcd 3.2v 20ma leds from lsdiodes, and i have a really good idea to get them looking 'unique' ... but thats a surprise..

ive had some progress on the case and im looking in the market for a new heater core (like 10x10ish) and some nice watercooling blocks... but im prolly gonna wait till doom3 comes out to buy a processor\mobo

for now im gonna LED\LCD my case up. (prolly that PSone LCD mod) and a new machiened backplate...

but i was wondering how i would wire (in parallel) a bunch of my 3.2v 20ma green 6500mcd LEDS to a 120v wall socket?

i tried using the LED calculator on this site - but it said if i used a resistor on 120v, it would overheat really quick.

any ideas? or should i just put another powersupply (like 250w AT) in with a switch to turn the LEDs on and just wire them to all the 12v rails...

prolly about 10 leds maybe 15 or 20 even? :dremel:

thanks alot guys =)

2. Zapho

Zapho What's a Dremel?

Not to be a jerk, but you need to stand back and think about what you are doing.
    The wall outlet is 120V AC (alternating current). The diodes run off of 3.2V DC .
    You can't just plug in a bunch of diodes into the wall.
    Best deal is to run it of your power supply.
    If you really want to run it off a plug, you gotta snag yourself a AC to DC converter (which there are plenty of at Radio Hack or any electronics store. You should really go through some basic electronics first though cuz it doesn't sound like you know how it all works.

3. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

LOL

man, i didnt even think about the ac\dc thing =P LOL, im at work and its kinda busy and i didnt even think about that at the moment =)

well, if i did grab a converter what would the current be? ive not tried to mess with that kinda stuff, just DC so i really havnt looked into it =P

i suppose ill just use the AT powersupply instead. its a little more soldering, i jsut wanted to hook all the led's up to one rail.

4. kevplus2

kevplus2 What's a Dremel?

forget the converter. take one of those old at power supplies and dedicate it for the bling bling stuff. search around on the net for wiring that psu to run it w/o a mobo. you have a ton of room in that case so mounting the extra psu shouldnt be a prob. then when you upgrade (c'mon d3 :rock: ) you wont be taxing your psu with new hardware AND all the lighting and stuff