1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Livestreaming & Recording Guide (Part 1: DXtory)

Discussion in 'Software' started by nchhabs, 22 May 2012.

1. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

i was thinking perhaps use dxtory for outputting the video, and then use xsplit to input the video from dxtory, and get the audio from the VAC? dunno if im barking up the wrong tree, but im hell bent on trying to work this out.

also on another note, a decent "instant replay" tutorial or auto opening a loop buffered file into xsplit would be amazing, im trying to make one myself but cant figure out how to get it to load in xsplit when i change scene

2. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

If you split the audio the way it has been suggested, voip to line 1 and leave the rest as normal or even to line 2 as per the guide.

I have made one and will post it tomorrow. Just set Dxtory to pick up line 1 and line 2. No Mic etc

Friends will hear Mic and game. But not in your stream.

3. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

You'd only need one cable, though, put game audio onto the VAC and repeat it to physical (so you can hear it), and have Dxtory/Xsplit use the VAC stream. (Dom's having a bit of a senior moment :p)

You can try the trial out to see if/how it works.

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The cheek, yes that will work too. I was typing on the bus :p

I am going to remake the video guide because I am not happy with it.

5. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Yeah, take your time with it, make it last. Perhaps doing it in segments would help, and don't forget you've got someone else to blame :hehe:

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I am going to cover, system specs and what is more than likely required, setup of Dxtory, VAC, Video Rendering.

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Well, I was going to follow this, but I have a problem. When I try to install DXTory, I get this:

[​IMG]

Any thoughts? Tried downloading the previous version, same problem. Also made sure .NET Framework 4.0 was up to speed.

8. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I did a quick google and as silly as it sounds did you install using as an elevated admin?

9. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

This says anti-virus blocks the registration of the library.
    edit:- seen the pic yet? :)

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

11. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Nice.

Did you try hard not to sound 'merican, and is that what the takes were for? :hehe:

12. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

A little, wasn't happy with the quality etc.

Was kind of tired yesterday when I was making it.

Next is VAC :rock:

13. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Dom, something important about volume control on the VAC. It works differently to the usual way of controlling volume for the user. Windows and nearly all applications max level is 0db (position 100%) and can only be reduced down to -inf db (position 0%). VAC's in windows can actually have upto +12db gain at max (position 100%), and for me, 0 gain is actually at position 44%.

If you want to observe this, you need to play something that has been mastered to 0db and watch the levels on the cascade to see the corresponding level.

[​IMG]

From the illustration, you ignore the lines levels - they don't readily represent anything useful, and use the physical outputs level (In this case my Hi-Fi).

As ever with adjusting levels, it's bad or really bad to be over increasing the level, because you can destroy the signal (called clipping).

14. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

What could be affecting my HDD's write speed? I have a Samsung F3 HD103SJ, and Dxtorys
    bench is showing me maximums of 80MB/s - The two Samsung F1 HD103UJs barely scrape 70MB/s and the Samsung F4 HD204UI barely hits 50MB/s. It would be nice to use my SSD as
    the drive to write to but... I think that would fill up pretty fast!! :D

So, is there a way to improve these? Or is that it. Kinda slow speeds? :(

15. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

Make sure the drives have nothing on them, if they do make sure its not the game or your os. My seagate barracuda barley hits 80mb a second, but its fine for recording 720p at 30fps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

16. pete*

The F4 is almost half full. The others have a little more than that. So could be why I guess.
    Nothing runs off them though. Simply data storage.

17. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I thought F4s were 5.4k rpm spindles. You got drive encryption/compression on? Or fragmentation perhaps?

18. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I haven't enabled volume control with the panel. I use windows control. Currently set to what is comfortable for me to hear the game and mumble.

This does get tweaked dependant on the game I am playing. HD598s are loud.

Will talk about it when Im online.

19. pete*

Yeah, f4s are 5.4k rpm. :)
    Ill have to check later if the others have those features enabled.
    However Unless they are on by default though, I doubt I'd have put them on myself.
    God this was hell to type on an ipjone

20. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Gaylick would know better, but afaik recording audio at 0db is best, that's the entire job of the sound recordist in a camera crew. If it's recorded too loud the signal is ruined and can't be recovered. On the other hand if you record it with levels down like -20db you'll ideally need to increase them, degrading the quality. Turning down the game audio decreases the level it is recorded at, but using the Volume Control allows the levels to be balanced to what you want.

It was something that would be helpful for your guide, audio is quite fickle. I only know what I know from talking to a musician frequently, and I still don't know much.

Bit a wild stab, the F4 should be good for 720/30p and the others should do 1080/30p as they are. Otherwise it would be best to throw the question to the wider forum, as well as check a proper disk benchmarking utility out.