1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Llano Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lord Blobbery, 18 Nov 2011.

1. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

I was planning on having this system as Trinity-based, but given the poor reviews and the fact that I can't stand working with this godawful laptop any longer:

Llano A8-3850
    MSI A75MA-G55
    Corsair XMS3 4GB
    Crucial RealSSD M4 64BG SSD

Case and PSU have already been taken care of, and I'm cannibalising my sound and wireless cards, optical drive and secondary HDD from my old machine.

Is there any way I could shave off any more cash here without seriously compromising on performace? I'd prefer to extract as much capacity for money as possible with the SSD.

2. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

From just looking at your parts, there's only a couple things I can suggest to shave off price (of course this comes at the cost of performance).

1) Drop to a weaker Llano. All Llanos are pretty weak compared to other processors that are on the market, but depending on what you're doing, you may feel the difference more.

2) Get an older generation SSD. The M4 is a newer SSD which means it's got a better controller, and faster r/w speeds, however you might be able to get by with something older (like a C300).

3. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

That's a point, I hadn't been looking anywhere other than Overclockers for SSDs. I've noticed a 64GB Kingston SSD going for ~£20 cheaper than the Crucial. However, the read speed is halved (500mbps to 250mbps) - as a gamer/casual user, what's the likelihood of me actually noticing the difference?

Also, I'd rather stick to to the A8-3850 for the moment - reviews suggest that anything below it loses a considerable level of performance (and it'll be a while before I can gather the funds to get a dedicated graphics card)

4. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

If you're coming from a HDD to an SSD, 250mbps should feel pretty fast to you (especially if you haven't used a newer SSD to get a feel for the speed comparison). However, if you're coming from some other SSD, you may not feel like there's much of a speed difference.

As you probably already know, the SSD will make a difference mainly in startup and loading times from programs/the OS loaded on it. As far as the OS goes, you might add on a few seconds (10? 15? I'm not sure, but it's still going to be a faster boot than an HDD). For programs (especially relatively small programs) you probably wouldn't notice a big difference. For any major r/w activities with the drive though, a newer SSD will be noticeably faster.

5. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

What are you planning to use the Llano build for?

6. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

Gaming, general uni work, internets. Nothing particularly demanding, as I tend to wait for Steam to put something interesting up for cheap when looking for new games rather than buying the latest and (supposedly) greatest stuff.

On a side note, if I install an OEM copy of W7, do you think I could upgrade to W8 with the student upgrade version? I'm not entirely sure whether the upgrade editions work with OEM copies.

7. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

You may have to turn the quality level down on some games to get a decent frame rate with the A8. For the rest of the stuff an A8 should be fine. The Llano doesn't set the world on fire as a CPU but the graphics core in it does make up for that.

For what you save I wouldn't recommend going to a less powerful Llano chip. I can't really add much more to the discussion on SSDs. I picked up a refurbished 64GB C300 from Crucial for around £50 but that was a special deal. To buy a 128GB SSD new is around £130 to £150 and if you are tight on budget it might be worth dropping it and sticking with the HDD you pulled out of your old PC for the moment.

As far as I am aware the only restriction on OEM copies of Windows is that it is tied to the motherboard it is first installed on.

8. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

Given that I'll be using a 1900x1080 monitor, I hold no assumptions that anything but TF2 will run at >25fps with the native resolution at anything even approaching high settings (8600GT at home barely copes with everything turned down). Still, it's certainly an improvement on the old machine. Plus the Windows upgrade appears to be back on track.

Edit: By the way, I completely forgot to ask about the default Llano cooler. Is it any good, or just loud and rubbishy trash to be replaced with great haste? I figure I can't go wrong with the Freezer 13 if needs must.

Edit Edit: Ah. I totally forgot to do any research on aftermarket CPU coolers. Anyone know any good FM1 coolers perchance?

Edit Edit Edit: Some sites are reporting certain coolers are FM1-compatabile, whilst others stocking the same items do not. Is this just a case of lazy site management?

Last edited: 20 Nov 2011