1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks load balancing in windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phil, 5 Oct 2001.

1. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

Is there anyway I can have 2 network cards in my machine running on the same network, or in such a way as to double the throughput to/from my machine ?

eg. I'm at a LAN party and I'm playing CS whilst simultaneously two or three people are leeching some mp3's from me - and I want to have windows automatically balance the load over the two NIC's for maximum throughput for example....

2. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Yes it's possible, but....

You will need to have two identical network cards that support this load sharing facility. It's normally found in server class NICs, such as the following from Dabs:

Encrypted Server Nic 168b 3XP
    Mfr code: 3CR990SVR97
    Quicklinx: 10XXWS

£79.00 + VAT
    £92.82 inc VAT

So not exactly cheap. It also means that you need two ports on the hub/switch. If you're going to an organised party (as opposed to your mates house), they might not be too keen to have you use more than one port. Or maybe they will, providing you pay extra for it.

3. Ataraxia

Ataraxia <b>OOH BABY!!!</b>

putting the 2 cards on the same hub kind of defeats the point! you've then got 2x100meg going into a 100meg device!

I think the easiest way to play games and still allow people to leech crap off you is to use an FTP program where you can limit the number of connected users and also limit their download speed. figure out the settings, leave enough bandwidth for gaming and you're set :)

4. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

I wanted to do this as well, but its a bit exstreme not to mention exspensive.

Just unshare your Mp3z when you are playing ;)

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

i wish there was a way you could give privaledges to things useing hte internet, ei if you want to download something when your browsing the net you want at least 1k/s for the page and 4 k/s for the download ..... this is for a modem s you can tell with such low speed ;)

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED BROADBAND

6. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

A decent quality switch shouldn't hold them back, and I do have my own switch...so when I go to the LAN parties I normally own at least 50% of the network infrastructure anyway...

7. RTT

RTT #parp

i think some download agents allow that mate.

u can set the limit for the download, and anything else gets whats left over, sadly tho, most download agents are spyware and suck ass :(

8. Ataraxia

Ataraxia <b>OOH BABY!!!</b>

9. Evilbob

Evilbob What's a Dremel?

Reget version 1.8 is bestest no spyware and totally free!!!!

10. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

wtf is spyware then ?

11. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

sends useage data back to the company that made it, can be crap like sites u use

12. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

gozilla and gator are two culprits...

Fly

Tags: