1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Lock files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Phil Rhodes, 1 Sep 2014.

1. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Whenever I edit a document on my laptop, which runs Linux, I frequently get files left on my USB keys with names like:

Code:
    .~lock.reasons_linux_is_terrible.doc#
    This causes the file "reasons_linux_is_terrible.doc" not to work properly when loaded into open office. No, I wouldn't like to make a copy and work on that, ffs.

What is the purpose of this file? Can I suppress their creation? They're a titanic pain in the backside.

Is this really, seriously the way linux handles marking a file read only? In 2014?

P

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Isn't this the same thing that MS Office does ? Creating a hidden file while you have the document open, that should be deleted when the document is closed.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nothing to do with Linux; it's what OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice do across all systems including Windows. Incidentally, Microsoft Office does the exact same thing. My guess: you're not closing the document before you're pulling out the USB drive or not waiting long enough after closing the document for the file to be deleted and the filesystem synchronised before pulling out the USB drive.

Not that you care, of course, because this is yet another one of your "let's bash Linux 'cos I've nothing better to do with my life" threads.

Do you know an easy fix for your Linux woes? Use Windows. Go ahead. It's a really nice operating system. In fact, I seem to recall last time you had a 'problem' on your 'Linux laptop' (exfat support, wasn't it?) you were going to do exactly that. What happened? A masochist, are you? Sad, Phil, very sad.

Margo Baggins likes this.
  4. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Nah, I'd suggest OS X instead, since I've convinced my Mom to switch from Windows to OS X she only calls me about twice a year instead of twice a month with some technical issue.

5. roundyz

roundyz New Member

you could set the folder permissions to ro and the file to rw...