1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logitech Z-680 Speakers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by eddie_dane, 3 Oct 2003.

1. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

2. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

two words: drooo ooool

/me wants and would like to reach out and spank your lucky butt. or perhaps sneak over and nick them for a weekend - permanently.

3. batsman

batsman the quiet one

was thinking of getting these when i have some spare cash, but then i saw the 7.1 THX setup creative are bringing out will wait for a review of them first

4. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

The problem with THX certification is that for the most part (especially with audio solutions aimed at use with a PC), its THX Select, which doesn't exactly have the most stringent of standards for products to qualify (unlike THX Ultra which is somewhat more demanding).

The THX badging in the new Creative setup, or the Z-680 setup, isn't a bad thing at all, but you have to watch out for the THX certification, as there are (at least) two classes. THX Select isn't as impressive as THX Ultra and is perhaps more of a marketing badge (as people think that THX automatically means godlike sound), and something that says 'Logitech/Creative paid Lucasfilm a load of cash to put the THX badge on their stuff'. Not sure whether the Z-680s are Ultra or Select though.

There is a school of thought that thinks that THX certified equipment isn't necessarily any better than non-THX certified goods - its simply that the manufacturer doesn't want to pay to have the things tested and pay to have the THX mark on their products.

Saying that, the Z-680s are pretty damned good for an all in one surround system :rock:

Do you find having the sub in the cabinet causes it to vibrate though? I had a sub in a cupboard for a while and while it was a lot bassier, it sounded poor because of the vibrations. You'd hear everything in the cupboard shake, rather than any discernible bass notes :hehe:. Might have been the dodgy cupboard though not being built properly though :duh:

Last edited: 3 Oct 2003
  5. eddie_dane

Funny you should say that, the sub-woofer's new home is actually outside that cabinet. Since it's a non-directional source, it doesn't matter. I moved it not so much for vibration but to make more room for my DVD's :D . I thought it had to be located there to be within reach of the control box cable but it turned out to be plenty long enough to store the sub outside the cabinet.

What Will says about THX is true. I did a fair bit of research into the THX specs when writing this article and it is a varitable labyrinth if info. I poured through the Logitech specs and I can't say which certification it is. THX is not a "silver bullet" of quality by any means but it is a good indicator of good stuff.

6. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Would you reccommed these for a basic home theatre setup? I'm looking at buying a surround system for my dvd/satellite system as I'm only running 2.1 now, but am thrown back when I see the prices of some of the equipment and the space they take up.

7. eddie_dane

That's how I'm using them now...

My previous home audio/video setup consisted of a 300w Kenwood reciever and a pair of JBL commercial theatre speakers, they literally came from a theatre. But the receiver was dated way before any of the new digital surround revolution. All that was replaced by the Logitech Z-680's they sound amazing and I just plug my PS/2 right into it using the optical digital cable I got. I use digital coaxial to the vesperdeco HTPC using the m-audio Revolution 7.1 sound card. My new audio/video setup has very few elements that are all digital and 5.1 surround. Very good solution

And as I said in the review, you can get the logitechs online much cheaper than the MSRP if you look well enough (although I can't atest to the UK market).

enter the matrix on these makes it a whole 'nother game I can say.

Some audiophile purists will scoff at my setup perhaps but given my home entertainment system consists of a digital cable receiver, ps/2, and the vesperdeco HTPC, they are a perfect combo with these speakers... you will not be disappointed in the sound quality/experience. I could see people wanting more from the receiver/control box situation as far as how many inputs you can have and being in total control of the sound of the system but that's the only compromise I can really come up with.

8. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Just saw your reply to the other thread ;)

Pff is all I can say to those audio purists! If I had the cash to drop on a few MacIntosh mono-blocks, I would go that route, but being a cash-strapped Dad, I can't do that.

I will buy these. It may take some time, but mark my word, they will be mine. :D

9. micb

micb Minimodder

Nice review, I did notice an term error you may want to change.

When writing about audio the term for low frequency sounds is "BASS" not "BASE".

;)

10. eddie_dane

thanks hawkeye ;) :thumb:

11. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

all your "BASS" are belong to eddie dane...

I'll get my coat!

12. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

I wouldn't exactly say I'm an audiophile, but I really don't think these are as hot as you think. Logitek are not exactly known for their fantastic audio quality... like a lot of "consumer level" hifi kit their stuff tends to be heavy on the bass and often lacking in detail. Sounds really impressive in the shop and for a few weeks when you get it home, but compared to a moderate separates system they tend to fall far short.

Of course, not having listened to these particular speakers I can't comment on them specifically, but for the money you could go somewhere like Richer Sounds and pick up a really nice separates kit.

Oh, and a couple of tips for setting up any home cinema system. Put the sub in a corner if possible, not in a cabinate or blocked by anything. Subs rely on moving large amounts of air and a nearly wall helps reflect sound a little. Try to be about 30cm or more away from the wall though. Satelites are best placed at ear level when sitting, and don't be tempted to point them towards you as this messes with the stereo separation. Finally, don't bother buying expensive gold plated digital cables, because being digital there is no difference in quality *at all*. Don't bother with the rubbish analogue audio cables they sell in Dixons either, again Richer Sounds will do you some proper ones for the same or less money.

MoJo

13. micb

micb Minimodder

Yes definatly keep subwoofers outside of cabenets.

Although depending on the room corner placement my be the worse place to put it.

You do typically get the most output by putting a subwoofer in the corner, doing this fully excites all the room modes (which give you standing waves), but you often do not get the flattest response. Corner placement can lead to some serious booming.

Also bass above 50 hz is directional, most subwoofers play 25 to 80 hz region so corner placement may well pull the stereo imaging to one side.

I find I have to place my subwoofer (IPL Acoustics SW2) in the center inbetween the main floorstanders to get an even and solid bass response.

In the end you have to experiment for position as, rooms shapes, seating positions, speakers and subwoofers are very different from each other.

14. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

I would also say that in terms of quality, I woul place the logitech 560 an 680's at about the same as a moerate separates system. Although by moerate serarates system I think near abouts $1000 CAD, and when I can get these for $300....

15. micb

micb Minimodder

Surly you mean Home Theater In a Box for $1000 CAD.

There is no way the Logitech systems even come close to moderate seperates home theater.

You can't put together a proper DD5.1/DTS serperates AV system on $1000 CAD, it is more like at least $3500.

16. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Probably asking this a little too late, but how heavy you reckon the box was? 20-30KGs?

They look nice and would sure look cool here with my setup, but lugging this all the way from Singapore could be a problem. What are the dimensions of the box as well (in cm/m) ?

Thanks dude, nice review!

17. eddie_dane

thx for the comments and reading the review. This is by far the largest and heaviest package of speakers I have ever seen. The subwoofer is obviously the major contributor to the weight. I'm going to have to guess from when I got them but I would say they come in at around 40-45lbs overall. The box is very big. if you look at this picture...

http://www.bit-tech.net/images/review/266/z680_001.jpg

I added the cd in that pic to give you some idea of scale. Just a rough estimate, I would say the box is around 3'W x 2'D x 2.5' H. Not something you would exactly want to move around yourself too often. I would compare it to a 19" to 20" monitor box in both weight and dimensions. I hope this helps. I will try to lock in on

18. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Thanks. Looks like I better get this through my supplier rather than attempt to haul it across by air..... :blah:

19. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Ed, you have not commented on the length of the D-Sub connector for the Console. This defines the distance between Sub/console ...or I didn't read that bit :p

20. eddie_dane

I don't think I did specify, memory serves me that it's about 4' but I will measure it when I get home and let you know exactly how long it is.

Tags: Add Tags