1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Looking for a better netbook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tokukachi, 14 Sep 2010.

1. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Ok, I have a just shy of a year old Samsung N110 Netbook, that has served me well, but it's time to get something with some more poke.

I bought a fruit phone about 7 months ago and it's replaced most of what I was using the netbook for, to the extent it barely gets used, and when I do want to use it, it doesn't have the power to do what I want.

Basically I'm after something that 10-13", that has a display of at least 1024 x 768 (important) and can actually run flash. It still needs to have a decent battery life (5+ hours), and would like it to have windows 7, though xp would be ok.

I'm hoping I can sell the netbook, and including this my budget is £500, I could stretch to £750 but this is eating into my new desktop budget.

Anyone have any recommendations? I've looked around and the portable market is so flooded with stuff these days I can't make heads nor tails of it.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2010
  2. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

The Acer Ferrari One is a good bet if you can deal with the luminous red colour on the lid. Otherwise you probably want to be looking at a CULV notebook rather than a netbook.

3. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland What's a Dremel?

Yeah the Acer Ferrari One is meant to have a cracking performance compared to other netbooks, I'm aiming to get one fairly soon, although yeah the Red Ferrari top isn't great!

HP Mini 311 with the Ion GPU is also meant to be a decent 11.6" netbook.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

if you want something that can beat your fruit phone, you will want to look outside of the Atom.

a i3 12/13 incher, or a Core 2 CUVL (or whatever combination for low power) will do much better than the dreaded Atom.

ever since i got my iPhone 4, i've not touched my HP netbook at all. really, really not worth getting an Atom powered netbook.

5. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Yeah, I'm thinking it will have to be a i3 or CULV based notebook, the atoms just to weedy, but I'm not sure what models are good.

6. chrism_scotland

The Acer Ferrari One has a Dual Core 1.2 Ghz AMD Processor in it along with a Radeon 3200 GPU, its not as fast as an i3 but its meant to be much better than the Atom CPU's

7. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Fixed that for you :thumb:

It beats the dual core Atoms too, though it does use more power.

8. chrism_scotland

Yeah battery life is meant to be rated at 5 hours which is a lot less than some of especially the Samsung netbooks but its got a lot more power!