1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Looking for a good switch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ivan2740, 5 Jan 2003.

1. ivan2740

ivan2740 What's a Dremel?

My lan crew is looking for a switch that has 16-24 (10/100)ports and has preferably two gigabit ports.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=17-111-014

Is this a good one, and would it have everything we need? I'm new to switches so I don't know if its missing stuff because it seems rather cheep for having gigabit on it.

2. vi-kata

vi-kata What's a Dremel?

Looks fine to me, but beware that it's unmanaged, so you won't be able to do any 'nifty' stuff with it like creating VLANs or picking up SNMP stats from it. If all you're after is a simple switch for LAN parties, this would probably do the trick.

I'd recommend the AlliedTelesyn switches, but they're managed and consequently rather more expensive :)

Cheers
    Kata

3. ivan2740

Hrmmmm I'm not sure what a VLAN or SNMP stats are so I guess it should be ok;) I'll look into those a little before I purchase it though, Thx!!

4. dakar

dakar What's a Dremel?

Geez. your no fun... i'd have said something like a cisco 3524.... and at only 10X the price! :eeek: but the neat and wonderful things they can do!

seriously that other looks like a decent switch for light usage.

5. ivan2740

What exactly did you mean by light usage?=)

Last edited: 6 Jan 2003
  6. dakar

dakar What's a Dremel?

"Light Duty" inferrred nothing derogatory, most folks would have no real need for anything more than featured in that switch. I meant only that the cisco 35xx's run with a 4 MB DRAM buffer, 10G switching fabric, the ability to aggregate ports for FastEtherChannel, vlans, port security, switching options (fragment free, store and forward, etc) and a host of management options. Overall the throughput would be faster through a cisco. i've managed to push through 153Mb/sec in a 3548 between two 100Mb/Full duplex ports (Cisco claims something like 165 or so)... so they are fast... but in reality...how fast is fast enough....for the most part our biggest limiting factor is not our core network speed but the speed between our networks (ie VPN tunnels or the internet).

But all of this comes for an extremely premium price! $80 per port vs. $10/port... there is no real question about it if i were talking about *my* money.

Frankly the Dlink 1026 looks like a great switch. The quoted specs look realistic. I've used a lot of DLink equipment in the past... thier earlier gear were crud (5+ years ago), but they've come a long way with thier recent switches...I'd say they directly compete with and outperform everyone in thier market and a few 'above' thier market...

Now i'll step down off my soapbox before someone knocks me down and gags me. Sorry if this was a ramble... but you DID ask..:D

7. ivan2740

Hehe ok so I guess I'll be getting this then, thanks for the input!

8. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

you can find used baystack 350-t's (what i got) on ebay for around 80 bucks.. 16 and 24 port models.. they are managed and do vlans, and multi-link trunking.. also are managable via console or telnet.. :)

-scoob8000

9. ivan2740

The baystack 350-t looks great but I was looking more for a switch with two gigabit ports and this doesnt appear to have any.. if i read correctly it can connect to one and all but that would give me two different switches and not really get me anywhere=/

10. ivan2740

After looking on ebay I found a couple different switches, one of which being the 'D-LINK DGS-1008T LAYER 2 GIGABIT SWITCH' which has eight gigabit ports at a reasonable price, although i am sure it will rise alot higher... meh i think the other one is a good deal and ill probly get it..

11. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

gotcha.. gigabit can be pricey.. you might be able to find a better deal on a 10/100 switch with some optional media port that you can buy a 1000 module for..

-scoob8000

Tags: