1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Looking for an old school Space RPG

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by popcornuk1983, 10 Nov 2010.

1. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Hello all!

I've recently been hit with the nostalgia bug thanks to good old games. But I've looked everywhere for a particular game and can't find it. Trouble is that I can't remember what it was called. It was a sci-fi RTS/Sim kind of game. If that's even a genre!

I remember playing it when I was 15-16 which would be about 10-11 years ago.

You had to colonise planets, build structures etc. Maintain relationships with other civs and build fleets of ships to defend your borders. I suppose the closest game that resembles it would be galactic civ. But galactic civ doesn't offer the level of micro management of the planets (on the old game you could zoom in on the planet and mess around in a kind of sim city style).

Also when you engaged the enemy, the map would zoom in on your fleet and you could micro manage the battle. I remember spending/wasting hrs and hrs on this game and can't believe I've forgotten the name of it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

2. popcornuk1983

Sorry I said RPG in the title. I meant RTS!

3. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

something like Star Trek: Armada?

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

UFO: Enemy Unknown.

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I don't think it's what you're looking for but Conquest: Frontier Wars is fun

6. popcornuk1983

That's an awesome game and I've got that too. Another game that I've spent far too much time playing!

I eventually found the name of it thanks to a post on another forum. It was called imperium galactica 2. I'm currently trying to hunt down a copy of it. In the mean time I've been looking at reviews of the game when it first came out and it received pretty decent write-ups! Worth another spin methinks :p

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Ah, I'd forgotten all about that. I believe I've got that in my wardrobe somewhere...lol

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Gal Civ?

9. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

^ alpha centauri?

10. Jamie Cortez

Jamie Cortez What's a Dremel?

Masters of orion 1 or 2.

3 Was utter crap, and from the sound of what your describing it's MOO 2. I still have it on disc not sure if it works on Win 7 tho.

11. lothdragon

lothdragon What's a Dremel?

Android Old School RPG - Star Traders Elite RPG

If you have an Android mobile phone or tablet, you should check out Star Traders Elite RPG. If you search for "rpg" on the market, it will be your #1 result! Or, tak ea look at the game page: http://www.corytrese.com/games/startraders/

Star Traders Elite RPG is an epic space opera is a hit with fans of Star Wars, Firefly, Serenity and Battlestar Galatica. Your command of the ship is under constant threat, both internal and external. Can you manage your resources, crew, officers well to enough to turn a profit on your contracts and trades? Those that do will be among the Faction's elite Star Heroes -- and those that fail will be branded bandits and Crimelords.

It has simple graphics, and reminds many gamers of old-school games, but it has surprising depth! Especially if you liked Nova, you will love ST RPG!

12. lothdragon

lothdragon What's a Dremel?

If you love Nova, Galatic Civ, and Master of Orion, you should get an Android phone and try out Star Traders Elite RPG. This game is made in those styles, but taken to a whole new level of awesome. Its depth and complexity and the dedication of the indie developer who is making it is really really impressive. Try it out, or check out the developer's blog: http://tresebrothers.blogspot.com/

Also, if you search for RPG on the Android market, it will turn up as the #1 hit!