1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Looking for info on ethernet

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Kipman725, 26 Mar 2007.

1. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Hello I have practically finished my AS electronics project:
    [​IMG]

It's a data logger ;)
    (and yes it works, prizes for guessing what exactly it does and what the ic's are :p )

and am now thinking forwards to my A2 project, I want to have some kind of internet connectivity element to it so I need to find a way of interfacing a PIC chip or similar to Ethernet and using a protocol that is routable over the internet like UDP to send data, in my searching of the internet though I have only found very rough information that seems to show people achieving this but with no actual details and they all appear to be using ISA network cards for the actual Ethernet communications (I would like to build that part myself).

So in short I'm looking for info about Ethernet, UDP and ways of interfacing PIC's to it as I have had not much luck with google serching.

2. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Wow, impressive breadboarding! Good job! I'd never thought of that ribbon cabling idea, nice! What chip are you using to store the data on? SD card for the win!

Have a look at the Microchip ENC28J60, there are quite a few PIC and AVR projects out there that use it, and Microchip supplies free firmware for a PIC to run with it that supports an FTP and HTTP server and DHCP and some other cool stuff!

Plus let us know how it goes! Good luck!

ch424

3. hithisishal

hithisishal What's a Dremel?

If you want to buy the back issues (I think now available electronically for a reasonable price) of nuts and volts, there have been some good articles through the years, in teh "design cycle" column. The two most recent issues (feb and march 2007) have articles about the 18fx7J60 series of ethernet enabled PICs. Public libraries might also have them...

edit: the 18fx7J60s are basically PICs with built in ENC28J60 ethernet modules.

4. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Oh cool, I didn't realise they were out yet - I saw a pre-release doc on microchip's site, but hadn't seen any around.... thanks for the heads up!

I guess you have to program them in C though...

Edit: ah, but the new chips are all TQFP, while the ENC28J60 is available as a 28 pin through hole package...

ch424

5. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

6116AE3 static RAM in the As project (old IC, manufactured by RCA no less), I would have used some form of flash memory but all the flash chips I could find had quite complex interfaces that needed a micro controller rearly to control them. whereas this ram can easily be controlled by a couple of switches :p

thanks for the heads up on a pic with built in Ethernet that looks just the trick. I'm thinking of a kind of Lan/web communicator thing. very early planning atm still need to lean assembler (haven't had the time :p )