1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loop with Immiscible Liquids?

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by ChromAnomaly, 13 Nov 2013.

1. ChromAnomaly

ChromAnomaly What's a Dremel?

I know, it sounds like a really dumb idea, and you're going to lose some heat transfer. But does anyone know if putting 2 immiscible liquids in to a watercooling loop works?

My thought was that if I add a relatively small amount of something like mineral oil to a water loop, the turbulence in the blocks would keep it suspended in visible droplets. Could create an interesting effect with a bit of dye added to one or both phases, and shouldn't create sludge like the fluids with solid suspensions do over time.

Biggest concern I think is that the oil would separate sufficiently to stick somewhere, or coat the inside of blocks, etc. The res would be a bit of an issue since the oil could float to the top, but I think I have a way to take care of that.

Thoughts? Anyone tried something crazy like this?

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Over time the pump may act as an emulsifier and turn the water-oil mixture into a sort of mayonnaise gunk. Just look at what happens in car engines when the gasket goes and radiator coolant gets together with the engine oil.

3. ChromAnomaly

Good point, I was more worried about the opposite problem and hadn't considered accidentally creating an emulsion . . . though I think with the elevated temps in the loop, the (relatively) low shear of the pump, and distilled water that an emulsion and least wouldn't be stable.

4. Nexxo

If you're looking for interesting looking coolants, just talk to Mayhem. He spends years developing this stuff and is a consummate pro.

5. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

If you're talking about the ones that look as if they have glitter in (poor description I know), then I can second that they look ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

While water cooling isn't exactly a forte of mine, the thing that immediately springs to mind is:

'There's probably a reason no-one is doing it...'

Weather it's because the pump turns it into a mayo like goo as nexxo says, or just ends up floating on top/sinking to the bottom of the loop, if it was doable, it probably would've been done by someone somewhere...

also +1 for what nexxo says about Mayhems

7. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Aren't you basically looking for exactly this:

As far as I'm concerned, Mayhem's coolants are just witchcraft. I can't wait to try out illusion or Aurora 2 when they're finally finished.

8. Nexxo

Funny you should say that...

[​IMG]

:worried:

9. ChromAnomaly

If everyone thought like that, there would never be new products introduced to the market. Besides, just because an idea isn't commercially viable doesn't mean that you can't make it work on a small scale.

Erm, yes actually. Hadn't seen that yet, guess someone beat me to it . . . but it does mean that it's possible. And the fact that it's not on the market yet means it's probably difficult . . . And difficult + not on the market = I'm probably going to try it at home :D

Yeah, I really like the pearlescent Aurora stuff, but the fact that it only has a 6-mo system life is a bit of a turnoff. That's what got me started thinking about a homebrew option.

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Aurora 2 is permanent. It should be out soon.

It would create an emulsion, it's been tried before. Aurora is more complex than it appears, believe me I know better than anyone. I still toy with the idea of making new coolants, but honestly I don't have the R&D budget he has and it takes it. A one-off for home is fine, and I often wonder about that for Knight's Rest but at the same time I know that if I hold out he'll get his Liquidmetal coolants to market. Still, it would take an awful lot of experimentation and materials science knowledge to get a workable coolant. That's not to discourage you-just to let you know that it's work. Honestly I think it would be nice to see someone put the work in.

11. ChromAnomaly

Will definitely keep my eye out for Aurora 2.

And thanks for the info - no sense in repeating someone else's failed experiment. Do you happen to know what liquids you've seen create emulsions?

I'm a chemist by training, and playing with this sort of stuff is the reason I mod. So don't be surprised if I try it regardless :D But knowing what mixtures aren't worth attempting will probably save me from frying a couple pumps.

Tags: