1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Lost all Company of Heroes progress

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by ModSquid, 24 Sep 2020.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hey all,

I had an issue last night where I thought I had to reinstall the CoH Relaunch version (via Steam), so I copied the save folder out of My Games to the desktop, reinstalled, then replaced the save folder. When I loaded up though, all progress was gone, annoyingly (obviously no Steam cloud save exists, which I probably should have checked). I've put about 70hrs into this so far so am not happy, to say the least.

Is there any way I can recover my progress?

Thanks in advance...

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Have you tried looking for saves, sometimes you can find saves for games after a certain point, if they're not rpgs etc, or possibly use cheats to get back to where you were?
    Not ideal I know but may be worth a look.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Check for hidden folders in the user profile/appdata etc..

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Cheers fellas - I'll have a look at both and see what I can dig out. Appreciated.

5. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Try installing everything to find anything matching 'company','heroes', 'coh' etc.

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Cheers Edwards - I've done a search, but I think the problem is that I uninstalled, then reinstalled, so all the files it finds are the new ones. The idea was to copy the save folder back into the game folders, but for some reason, it's not recognising my previous saves. I assume there's another folder/setting I should have copied out in addition, in order for the new install to pick up the old saves :sigh:

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Could it be in your "Documents" folder?

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Sometimes games like to be cute and store files in the local roaming app data hidden section of ya harddrive. I uninstalled something recently and reinstalled only to lose ALL my settings. It was an MMO so the UI settings were special. I'm playing again, but I can't remember even half of the adjustments I made.. :wallbash:

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

This is what used to turn me off of PC gaming, in honesty - the volatility of the platform, both in terms of compatibility and consistency. I took the plunge and came back some years back and it's been a lot of fun, but things like this do annoy the hell out of me - it can't be that hard for a platform like Steam to incorporate cloud saves across all games, not just a select few, surely?

I'll check the roaming folders as well - cheers dude.

Mr Happy - I think the folder I pulled out was from the Documents/Games folder to start with, but I'll also double check that.

Mr Happy likes this.
  10. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Won't help this time unfortunately, but for future https://www.gamesave-manager.com/ is basically personal cloud saves. Scans your drive for known save locations & lets you back them up to DropBox etc using symlinks.

ModSquid likes this.
  11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah, that sounds interesting - nice one!