1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Lost Data

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ryu_ookami, 15 May 2009.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

HI I've got a External USB HDD that I haven't used in a while it continued all the GF's Anime I plugged it in and it's now being seen as a removable disk when I click it I get the message

"please insert a disk into drive I"

I've looked under the drive properties and it say's

[​IMG]

If I got to the device properties and tell it to populate I get the following

[​IMG]

I've run the Error checking option under Tools and told it to automaticially fix file system errors but it just closes when I click start. I've tried re-starting the pc and I've also tried manually assigning a drive letter in case there was a conflict. Does anyone elses have any ideas short of re-formatting the HDD as I would rather not lose the data if possible.

Last edited: 15 May 2009
  2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I'd take it out of the enclosure and try running it internally. You may need an adapter for the interface though if it's a 2.5" drive.

If you get the same stuff, go a bit more indepth with some boot-time backup tools like the ones available on Hiren's boot cd.

Ryu_ookami likes this.
  3. Ryu_ookami

I'm downloading Hirens 9.8 now if anyone else has any ideas then keep them coming i really need to get this data back.

4. oliverw92

oliverw92 What's a Dremel?

you could try some kind of data recovery program. I use Easeus' Data Recovery Wizard. Had to pay for it, but it was worth it. If you don't want to pay straight off, most offer a trial, so you could download one and use it to see if your data is still there.

Also do you have a computer with a different OS on? A linux machine might pick it up differently and give you more information about what is wrong.

5. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i had a simular problem with an old external drive that i built. same thing kept happening to me after a friend used it to check one of his drives.

turns out the stupidly cheap IDE cable use in it was so thin the copper wire snapped internally within the cable.

Quickly made a new cable, switched out the shockingly bad molex cable aswell, hot glued every cable to secure them in place after soldering, and never had a problem since.

however this may not be your problem, i thought i would share.

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

8. Ryu_ookami

Ok i've tried a new usb cable as selected and its still not working. I've also just tried testdisk and this is what I get.

[​IMG]

now the first drive detected is my main O/S Drive which is not the drive I'm having problems with the second is my DVD drive. SO it looks like one of 2 things is happening when I run testdisk either A.testdisk is unable to find an external drive or B. whatever is wrong with the drive is something that Testdisk doesn't look at. I'm going to take the drive from its external and plug it in internally a little later I'm unable to do so at the moment due to the fact that my PC is encoding something at the moment.

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

I'm gonna go with faulty enclosure. disassemble it and connect up the drive without the enclosure.

Ryu_ookami likes this.
  10. Ryu_ookami

ok

+1 rep to julianmartin
    +1 rep to Fod

I took it out of the enclosure and plugged it inside my pc and the 400gb of anime are back I was dreading having to download that much anime, again especially as some of its now been licenced.

[​IMG]

downloading this again would have taken forever.

So thanks everyone Bit-Tech members come up trumps again:)

11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Heh the TestDisk people saw it as the worst possible scenario. I would've thought of it like that too. Goes to teach us to go from the simple all the way to the worst case. I had to download 40gb of Anime when I got my iPod stolen.

12. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

w00t i was right!!

glad you got it sorted :)