1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Lost key to rackmount case

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Yaka, 1 May 2019.

1. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

So i am having a clear out an i have got a 2u rackmount nas box for which i have lost the key, is there any way i can force the lock to open apart from destroying it with a drill? far as i can remember this case wont power up unless the key is in a locked position

Last edited: 1 May 2019
  2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Tubular lock, I assume?

[​IMG]

Assuming you can't open the chassis itself and get to the back of the lock that way, you can either drill it or pick it. Picking it should be pretty easy, fun, and less likely to... y'know, wreck everything.

Measure the lock then pick up something like this cheap pick set. If it's not a common size or number of pins, I've had some luck with one of these and a normal pick. The locks on these things aren't very secure, they're designed more against accidental ejection than physical attack.

Yaka likes this.
  3. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

thats very handy to know, but its a yale key type lock in the past ive had succes with a screw driver but no such luck this time

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's even easier, then. If it's a fairly standard size, this will get you in; if it's smaller, you might need this instead. I'd be surprised if it withstood more than a couple of seconds of wiggling with the city rake in the first set before popping right open.

5. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

thanks ordered it. will update on how i get on

6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

well this is embarrassing the kit arrived today, just picked up the case to hear a rattle in side. seems at some point my genius mind thought it would be a good idea to leave the keys inside the case

spolsh, Arboreal and bawjaws like this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Hah!